· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Craving for a BN pleco, is it raisonnable?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I would like to add a BN Pleco to my community.
    I know I am 97% stocked right now according to aqadviser.com and getting the pleco would get me to 110%, but it'll be for a few months only as I am budgeting for a 50+ gallons tank, so probably 3 or 4 months before set up.
    I keep my tank very well, i believe, keep the nitrate down to between 5 to 10 ppm by doing 2 water changes of 25% each a week and I don't mind doing some extras if necessary.
    Also would it be OK at pH 7.8?
    What do you guys think, will it be too much even for a few months or can I make it?
    Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    IMO I would wait for the larger tank - why overstock even for a short amount of time - plecos produce lots of waste.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Probably right. What's the tank stocking and decor?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Was afraid you'd say that :-(
    My stock is 17 bloodfins, 7 corys panda, 3 nerites.
    Sand, driftwoods, planted (java fern, anubias, compacta, apogenon, crypt), amphora and cave.
    AC 70 for filter, 29 gallons rectangular standard.

0 Not allowed!
    Well then, it's a good thing you asked huh? You are wise for asking before purchasing! It's amazing how many fish some people think they can stuff into a tank - many impulse buys - not a good idea!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphe View Post
    Was afraid you'd say that :-(
    My stock is 17 bloodfins, 7 corys panda, 3 nerites.
    Sand, driftwoods, planted (java fern, anubias, compacta, apogenon, crypt), amphora and cave.
    AC 70 for filter, 29 gallons rectangular standard.
    Tank decor and tank mates won't be an issue. The bloodfins are too clever to mess with an Ancistrus. The cories tend to be easy going. However, as you suspected, you're already pretty much at your stocking limit. It could work, especially with your water changing regimen but realistically, you're already leaving yourself with 0 room for error.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Conventional wisdom suggests that all the advice you've been given is sound. However, I'll be the dissenting voice here LOL. I have 8 colombian tetra, 6 serpae tetra, 6 cories, 1 DW gourami and 3 snails in a 30 gallon along with an albino BN pleco. For the past 3 months, it's also been temporarily housing a 3 inch Electric Blue Jack Dempsey until he gets a little more growth on him. The tank, however, is well established - a year old. It's in perfect harmony and health with plenty of filtration and established beneficial bacteria. Like you, I keep up with my water changes and keep nitrates in check. It's all about taking care of the water.
    Granted, you'd be pushing it a bit but if your tank is mature and healthy and you have at least double filtration for the tank size, I think you could add a baby BN - especially considering you plan to transition to a larger tank at some point. By the time he gets any growth on him, you'll be set up and ready. My little BN makes my tank - so I can see why you have a hankering to get one.
    Good luck whatever you decide
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-13-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    It's a better idea to stock the tank you have and not the one you might get in the future. For the welfare of your fish, accept the fact that the tank is at its limit and wait until you get the bigger tank to get more fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Conventional wisdom suggests that all the advice you've been given is sound. However, I'll be the dissenting voice here LOL. I have 8 colombian tetra, 6 serpae tetra, 6 cories, 1 DW gourami and 3 snails in a 30 gallon along with an albino BN pleco. For the past 3 months, it's also been temporarily housing a 3 inch Electric Blue Jack Dempsey until he gets a little more growth on him. The tank, however, is well established - a year old. It's in perfect harmony and health with plenty of filtration and established beneficial bacteria. Like you, I keep up with my water changes and keep nitrates in check. It's all about taking care of the water.
    Granted, you'd be pushing it a bit but if your tank is mature and healthy and you have at least double filtration for the tank size, I think you could add a baby BN - especially considering you plan to transition to a larger tank at some point. By the time he gets any growth on him, you'll be set up and ready. My little BN makes my tank - so I can see why you have a hankering to get one.
    Good luck whatever you decide

I agree... most of my tanks are a tick over stocked. I dont think a single BN will hurt your setup. I have a BN in every tank I have. They're great and do a great job cleaning.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks all. I like that fact that it seems to be a little more than just yes or no. I am on the conservative side however and my budget and set up date reflects savings for brand new "A to Z" equipment, knowing that I am watching Graig list and today saw 2 interesting tanks one 50-55 gallons (the stand will need re staining as I see on the picture) and one 90 gallons, I am not considering the decorations included as I want to do my own thing, so it might turns to a couple weeks verses months.
    So if I can get one on these in by this weekend (even know it might not be up and running for an another couple weeks due to cleaning and getting misc...), i thing it would be fair to get my BN now isn't it?
    http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/for/3604190607.html
    http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/3614837918.html
    what do you think do any of these seems like a good deal?
    Could you tell me what I should be watching for and question to ask to make sure I get it right?
    Last edited by Delphe; 02-14-2013 at 10:01 PM.