Results 1 to 10 of 10
02-13-2013, 04:44 PM #1
Craving for a BN pleco, is it raisonnable?
I would like to add a BN Pleco to my community.
I know I am 97% stocked right now according to aqadviser.com and getting the pleco would get me to 110%, but it'll be for a few months only as I am budgeting for a 50+ gallons tank, so probably 3 or 4 months before set up.
I keep my tank very well, i believe, keep the nitrate down to between 5 to 10 ppm by doing 2 water changes of 25% each a week and I don't mind doing some extras if necessary.
Also would it be OK at pH 7.8?
What do you guys think, will it be too much even for a few months or can I make it?
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM #2Senior Member Red tailed catfish
- Join Date
- Dec 2010
IMO I would wait for the larger tank - why overstock even for a short amount of time - plecos produce lots of waste.
02-13-2013, 05:31 PM #3
02-13-2013, 06:04 PM #4
Was afraid you'd say that :-(
My stock is 17 bloodfins, 7 corys panda, 3 nerites.
Sand, driftwoods, planted (java fern, anubias, compacta, apogenon, crypt), amphora and cave.
AC 70 for filter, 29 gallons rectangular standard.
02-13-2013, 07:25 PM #5Senior Member Red tailed catfish
- Join Date
- Dec 2010
Well then, it's a good thing you asked huh? You are wise for asking before purchasing! It's amazing how many fish some people think they can stuff into a tank - many impulse buys - not a good idea!
02-13-2013, 08:10 PM #6
02-13-2013, 11:59 PM #7
Conventional wisdom suggests that all the advice you've been given is sound. However, I'll be the dissenting voice here LOL. I have 8 colombian tetra, 6 serpae tetra, 6 cories, 1 DW gourami and 3 snails in a 30 gallon along with an albino BN pleco. For the past 3 months, it's also been temporarily housing a 3 inch Electric Blue Jack Dempsey until he gets a little more growth on him. The tank, however, is well established - a year old. It's in perfect harmony and health with plenty of filtration and established beneficial bacteria. Like you, I keep up with my water changes and keep nitrates in check. It's all about taking care of the water.
Granted, you'd be pushing it a bit but if your tank is mature and healthy and you have at least double filtration for the tank size, I think you could add a baby BN - especially considering you plan to transition to a larger tank at some point. By the time he gets any growth on him, you'll be set up and ready. My little BN makes my tank - so I can see why you have a hankering to get one.
Good luck whatever you decide
Last edited by fishmommie; 02-14-2013 at 12:12 AM.30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies, mystery & assassin snails
15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, mystery & assassin snails
90 g FW planted:congos, rainbows, roseline sharks, kribs, male ABNP, peppered cories, assassin snailss
90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp
02-14-2013, 03:32 AM #8
It's a better idea to stock the tank you have and not the one you might get in the future. For the welfare of your fish, accept the fact that the tank is at its limit and wait until you get the bigger tank to get more fish.People say if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all... Then they wonder why am I so quiet.
Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?
02-14-2013, 07:02 PM #9
02-14-2013, 10:48 PM #10
Thanks all. I like that fact that it seems to be a little more than just yes or no. I am on the conservative side however and my budget and set up date reflects savings for brand new "A to Z" equipment, knowing that I am watching Graig list and today saw 2 interesting tanks one 50-55 gallons (the stand will need re staining as I see on the picture) and one 90 gallons, I am not considering the decorations included as I want to do my own thing, so it might turns to a couple weeks verses months.
So if I can get one on these in by this weekend (even know it might not be up and running for an another couple weeks due to cleaning and getting misc...), i thing it would be fair to get my BN now isn't it?
what do you think do any of these seems like a good deal?
Could you tell me what I should be watching for and question to ask to make sure I get it right?
Last edited by Delphe; 02-14-2013 at 11:01 PM.