· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Partial Water Changes

0 Not allowed!
    Mostly new to fish. I was wondering if I should only change the water when the test kit shows high ammonia or nitrite. I am in day three of cycling with fish and the water is cloudy. What would be the average time between partial changes? I have a 29g with four kissing gourmai and two pictus cats. I am also concerned with their feeding habits. The first time I fed them the cats ate pretty fast but since then I have not seen any of them eat at all. Should I be concerned? And lastly, the water temp has been low, what is the best route to bring it up safely? All advice is welcome, trying to learn as much as I can.

0 Not allowed!
    The cloudiness is just a bacteria bloom and is normal when cycling, nothing to worry about

Complete a water change any time your ammonia or nitrites are higher than 0.25ppm and make sure you change enough water to bring it back down to 0.25ppm. For example, if you test your water and you find you have 1ppm of ammonia, you will need to change 75% of the water to bring it back down to 0.25ppm

There is a link below in my sig to a thread here that explains how to cycle with fish should you want more information
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    +1 - your readings will dictate how often to change and how much to change - best to change before the ammonia gets up to 1.0ppm.

Regarding your temp - you don't have a heater in the tank? If you do, is it adjustable? What temp are you trying to keep the tank at? If your water temp fluctuates too much, that can stress your fish out. In addition, I would not add anymore bottom feeders (or any other fish for that matter) to that tank until it is fully cycled - ammonia is more concentrated on the bottom and can affect the cats.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info on water changes. I had heard a lot about them, but never really found any hard facts/numbers for what is the tipping point.

I have an under the tank heater. I thought it would do a decent job along the warmth in the house, but it appears it is not doing the job. Now that I do have a heater, how quickly should I bring up the temp? Right now its sitting at 70 degrees, but I want it closer to 80 degrees to quicken the cycling process. Is a degree a day ok? Two a day?

Also, are full spectrum lights required? Are there any you would recommend? Again, I have seen a lot about them, but not any real hard facts.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornehodges View Post
    Thanks for the info on water changes. I had heard a lot about them, but never really found any hard facts/numbers for what is the tipping point.

I have an under the tank heater
    Your heater isn't inside the tank?. I thought it would do a decent job along the warmth in the house, but it appears it is not doing the job. Now that I do have a heater, how quickly should I bring up the temp? Right now its sitting at 70

That's awfully low for tropical fish such as you have. Most of us have our tanks at a constant 76-80. If you are going to increase it, then yes you need to do it little by little to not shock the fish. I would do a degree or two per day. degrees, but I want it closer to 80 degrees to quicken the cycling process. Is a degree a day ok? Two a day?

Also, are full spectrum lights required? Special lighting is only needed if you have live plants in your tank that require good lighting. Lighting is nice to see fish but fish don't require special lights.Are there any you would recommend? Again, I have seen a lot about them, but not any real hard facts.
    Please see my responses above
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have lilies, so full spectrum. Thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of lilies? I'm not familiar with those - they are submergable?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrites are far more toxic than ammonia - never use 0.25 ppm nitrite level to change; use 0.1 ppm as the trigger level for nitrites!
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-13-2013 at 07:10 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't remember the exact names of the Lilies, but they are submerged and quite pretty.