· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just got my tank today all drilled and plumbing for a bean animal, not coast to coast but same style. I like the second design also, with the bean animal you in fact may not have any air bubbles from the tank, that's the aim of it. So having a drip plate and emerged bio filtration is better in my opinion, and thats what i'm doing
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    No matter if you have a Ocean overflow, bean anmial, or duriso stand pipe, they are all gravity feed drain systems that require a intake of air in order for the water to flow into and down the drain. The correct mixture of air and flow will make any of them dead silient. All of them work very well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have decided to use the 20g because I already have it. I have redesigned it a bit though. It will have about 5.9 gallons of reserve space.

I eliminated the sock filters and added some fine filtration media above the drip plate. I added a secondary media chamber for carbon etc. The operating water level is 6".

sump3.jpg
    Last edited by mrramsey; 02-15-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I also have a question about bulkheads... On the interior side of the tank what glue should be used? Regular pvc cement or aquarium safe silicone?
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Plan looks good!

I used PVC glue for all my fittings and now prefer the kind that can be used in wet applications since it dries faster. However, I did not pvc glue the returns in the overflow box. They slip in so if I ever had to remove them it would be easy.

I have also used threaded bulk heads with lots of liquid pipe tape and had no problems.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Glarior - going to have the glass cut today but right now I am deciding if I want to take the tank and have it drilled for an external pump.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    Thanks Glarior - going to have the glass cut today but right now I am deciding if I want to take the tank and have it drilled for an external pump.
    You mean having a internal overflow box? If so, its worth it IMO. I had my 240 drilled and if I would have known better I would have had each end drilled for dual overflows.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the overflow box. When used correctly that can reduce the flow back into the sump should the return pump fail

I would suggest attaching your drain line together, either using threaded fittings or plain end fittings with PVC cement. Standard PVC fittings with plain ends are not menat to be just put together. Even on a drain line with limited / very low pressure

You can use a union fitting in the line to allow you to take it apart later should you need to move the set-up.
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-15-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry let me clarify... Was thinking of drilling the sump tank for an external pump. I have an internal overflow... it holds appx 2.5 gallons which is why I have 5.9 gallons on extra room in the sump. The outside of the bulkhead has FIP threads the interior side of the bulkhead has a glue/slip fitting.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Ah... then yes, that would be a great idea.

You could gain a lot of room in your sump and you have room for this under your tank. I would suggest using flexable PVC line for your return pump. It makes it a lot easier to get your pump level with your bulkhead flange on your sump.