· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Sump for 72 Gallon Freshwater

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All,
    Planning out my sump for the 72g coast to coast overflow project based on Bean Animal's design. Here is what I have figured.

20g long sump
    2 x 50 micron sock filters
    3 gallons of bio-balls
    700-900gph pump

The normal operating capacity should be about 15g leaving 5g to catch the extra water in the overflow which should be about 2g. What do you think? I am open to alternate designs

Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like it will work just fine to me

What are your plans for the compartment between the bio-balls and the return pump ? That would be a pretty good spot for your heaters and to passively run carbon or phosphate removers should you ever need to use any of those.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good. Do you plan to have corals?

Cliff idea of the spot for heaters is great. Makes the tank look better with out a heater in it
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I plan to put the heater in the sump... do you think I should make a compartment for additional other additives for better flow through or just in the compartment between the pump and bio media? I was almost wondering if I should go to a 30g sump. Still designing the new stand so space is not an issue.

@glarior - No corals.... this will be a fresh water build. Thought about a fowlr but just don't think I am ready for salt yet.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    Yes I plan to put the heater in the sump... do you think I should make a compartment for additional other additives for better flow through or just in the compartment between the pump and bio media? I was almost wondering if I should go to a 30g sump. Still designing the new stand so space is not an issue.

@glarior - No corals.... this will be a fresh water build. Thought about a fowlr but just don't think I am ready for salt yet.
    IMO, bigger sump is always better when it comes to aquariums. Having extra space for anything you may need in a sump is a luxury.

Maybe add some egg crate section to where your water comes into the sump? That way you could always add various media if you needed it?
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pet supplies plus has their tanks on sale for $1 per gallon... I may just run over and pick up a 29 to be safe.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I take it the Stars in your design are the bio media section? Are you going to implement a drip plate? If so I think you will either need to raise the first two sections or lower baffles after bio section as currently the majority of the bio media will be submerged under water according to your design. Biological filtration works really efficiently when adequate air is introduced, and submerging in water might not give you adequate air.

You could also introduce a air stone on the bottom of bio section and keep everything else the same.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes that is the current design and I wondered about constructing a higher section or tower of sorts but I need the inlets to be submerged to keep the noise down. If I go with the 29g I can get another 5 inches of height. If I use the 29 I can do it and have about a 50/50 mix in the trickle

sump2.jpg
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I would not be very concerned about a lack of oxygen levels in the sump. As the water drains from the tank, it will be sucking air into the drain line giving you a lot of bubbles and oxygenation in the first compartment of the sump. After all, that would be a lot more oxygen in your sump than any canister filter would get.

I like your second design with the 29 gallon a lot better. It looks like you might be able to get some more bio-balls in there as well which would be a good thing
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I would not be very concerned about a lack of oxygen levels in the sump. As the water drains from the tank, it will be sucking air into the drain line giving you a lot of bubbles and oxygenation in the first compartment of the sump. After all, that would be a lot more oxygen in your sump than any canister filter would get.

I like your second design with the 29 gallon a lot better. It looks like you might be able to get some more bio-balls in there as well which would be a good thing
    Yea... I have been doodling on the side of this 20g all evening with a dry erase marker and have not been happy with any of the layouts. I went to Pet supplies Plus and they were out of the 29's but will have some tomorrow.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal