· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Question Indoor Pond Idea

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I just joined this forum to run this idea past you guys and to get some feed back on a indoor pond idea I have.
    I was thinking about buying an rectangular framed paddling pool to put in my basement, roughly 400 US G (vary in size) placing a layer of blankets on the inside and some thermal insulation and then covering it with a pond liner so I have a well insulated framed above ground pond (that wont break and instantly flood my basement). Next I was planning on using two pumps e.g. 8000 l/h (depending on the type of fish I am planning on keeping / turnover rates needed) to go to two plastic 4 draw towers (draws) which will have holes drilled in each draw 3 layers and the 4th will just be used to gather the water to return to the pond. Instead of using a overflow (since I cant drill a hole in the side of the paddling pool) I was planning to set up the dry filters (plastic draws) next to the tank so they return instantly via water fall. The first layer will contain my pre filter, considering sponge and underneath poly fill to catch the smaller particles. The second layer will be my dry biological filtration in which I am uncertain of the media at the moment as I cannot find any plastic pot scrubbers in the UK (all stainless steel) (And bio balls don't have enough surface area for a larger filter). The final (3rd) I was considering carbon filtration until I read that it wasn't necessary unless treating fish with meds, so was considering a wet biological media such as ceramic rings. Finally would be heating it with a few 500w heaters.
    I know its quite a paragraph, and I thank you for your time, any feed back would be much appreciated whether its a stupid idea, tweaks or suggestions.
    - Stray
    P.S. Planning on keeping a shoal of tinfoil's, a few A. cichlids, and a possible grow out for a paroon. (I know a pond lacks the sideways display of a glass tank, however I think birds eye / diagonal view combined with active fish with swimming space is just as satisfying)

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Can't see any reason your approach won't work but kind’a lost why you want a small pond like that - glass sides offer a vastly superior view and for us, that is the only point. Might get old seeing only the most uninteresting part of a fish but, to each their own. Breeding, however, (esp. large, valuable fish like discus) work well with tiny pond like tanks in a house. Lighting will be an issue (fish do need light) and evaporation will be serious and dirt/dust will be a problem - as will fish jumping out - unless you somehow cover the 'tank'. Otherwise, you have most issues addressed.

As for plastic 'bio-balls', these are vastly inferior to ceramic noodles/rings; just use all ceramic bio-media (besides a fine fiber system to help remove larger solids.) Vacuuming waste will be more difficult (gravity siphoning will be very difficult in that situation) but that too will need to be addressed as will water changes. You should consider a large algae scrubber system to help address both the water change issue (a large volume, otherwise) and purity. I assume your water has chlorine compounds and that will be a bear to treat; so a scrubber would make great sense to reduce that cost.
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    To address the gravel vac issue, you could just buy a python setup that attatches to your sink nozzle, or make your own for half the price with a standard gravel vac, some vinyl tubing, and a waterbed fill/drain kit.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ht=indoor+pond

Covers some of the issues you might face, and the end includes a few things he would have done differently if given a second chance, knowing what he learned in the process.