· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need filter / heater advice for a proposed Cichlid tank

0 Not allowed!
    I'm trying to set up my first tank and I'm planning for it to be a 125 gal some kind of Cichlid tank, and I'm needing to outfit myself with everything I need to make the tank run. I've read advice that the equipment used should be based on what type of fish are being cared for, so knowing relatively nothing about what I'm jumping into, at this point I need to defer to you guys for some good equipment advice.

Right now I'm interested in purchasing both filter and heat equipment. I've researched that it's possible to get a unit that does both so I'll probably go this route as long as these units aren't priced too way out there. What I know so far is that I need to filter my water somewhere between 4 and 8 times an hour, and that I'll probably need the equivalent of 2 300 watt heaters to get everything up to the proper temp.

The tank will be on a stand with a false back so a system located under the tank with lines leading up would seem to work well. If it makes any difference in the advice I'll probably try to combine some plants in there sometime as well.

So, if you have any advice on specifically what brand / model / size of these units I should be looking to purchase I'm all ears. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Heaters differ little. I like eheim/jager because their thermostats are often well calibrated. Filters, I like cannisters. I'd say get a pair of fluval 406 or eheim 2217. If you insist on a single filter then a fluval fx5.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, after looking over lot of product reviews it seems like the Eheim brand, at least over time, is the only one to buy. I didn't find a combined heater filter system made by these guys so I'll probably just go with 2 regular hanging heaters. The idea I heard expressed most often concerning the Eheim filter systems is that although they can be quite a bit more expensive they tend to hold up over time much better than the other highly rated canister filters. So I'm looking at getting 2 Eheim Pro 3E Model 2078 filters each doing 490 gph. Sound about right? Any alternative suggestions?
    Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 02-13-2013 at 05:35 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just read reviews of the Fluval FX5 and especially considering its price difference it seems like this would be an acceptable filter too. I've read so many times that the gph values aren't verified and manufacturers can make wild claims. Given the reduction in gph when filter media is added, then colonized, seems like I would have to do 2 of the Fluval FX5s as well. I'm not sure just one would do for my 125gal.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't be too pessimistic. Eheim tends to be very accurate when it comes to volume per hour. Their translation to tank size can be a bit optimistic. I have seen the config mentioned above being used successfully on African cichlid tanks. Just don't position the intake too close to the sand.