· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Getting that high of a reading on your test strip, while 0 on your tap, is enough to tell me that your nitrates are especially high right now. Do at least a 50% water change (70-75% would be better). If all you've been doing is 35% all this time, it's a safe bet that nitrates have been steadily growing into the realm you're suggesting. Wait about an hour after your water change and test again. If it's still high, then clean your filter out.

Don't forget to use dechlorinator!

Also, when you're cleaning out your filter, save a bucket of tank water and dump the filter media in that (shake it around, squeeze the sponges out, etc), then rinse the filter baskets/canister/etc, and you'll be good to go. Check your params in another hour and you'll probably be back to normalcy. If not, you'll need to do another water change.

Then go buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...aster+test+kit

Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK View Post
    GF's are messy! Lol, little boogers.
    Goldfish are pretty messy, too!

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys I appreciate it. Where should my nitrate level be?

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrates should be 20ppm or less BEFORE you change the water. I agree that with goldfish, water changes should be at least 50% each time as they produce a lot of waste.

If someone is having difficulty keeping nitrates at a safe level even with frequent, large water changes, that can mean the tank is too small for the stocking or feedings need to be reduced.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again guys, learning alot.

That brings me to another question. Just how much food a day should goldfish get? I give them a pinch twice a day. Is this okay? or too much?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Ha ha....and now it's a dozen roses and "two"!!!!!! pounds of chocolate to keep her happy for another year.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!

Also, when you're cleaning out your filter, save a bucket of tank water and dump the filter media in that (shake it around, squeeze the sponges out, etc), then rinse the filter baskets/canister/etc, and you'll be good to go. Check your params in another hour and you'll probably be back to normalcy. If not, you'll need to do another water change.

Then go buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...aster+test+kit

Thanks Kevin,

Also on the subject of cleaning my filter, I notice it gets dirty and clogged fast ( usually in between water changes ) I know I need to get a better filter but is there any harm every other day or so training some tank water and rinsing it out in that? just to keep it unclogged. I assume it wont wash away any beneficila bacteria seeing as it would be rinsed in tank water?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Feeding depends on both the tank temperature (warmer water requires more food) and how fast they eat the food you give them. Do not try and feed fish until they stop - they aren't built that way and will eat far too much. Feed enough food that they can eat all of it in a minute or so (average value; at colder temps could take longer.) That amount should be done at most twice a day for large fish. Only once a day for small fish; this is per what I have read relative to tropicals - goldfish may differ a good bit.

For filter cleaning - either use treated water or old tank water and just rinse out debris. Can get as clean as you want - the bacteria can not be rinsed out to any significant extent (cold/cool water. Never use hot water! and no, I don't mean tank water is hot.)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    is there any harm every other day or so training some tank water and rinsing it out in that? just to keep it unclogged. I assume it wont wash away any beneficila bacteria seeing as it would be rinsed in tank water?
    Nope, no harm done. To echo Cermet - no amount of cleaning your filter (so long as you're doing it correctly) will effect your beneficial bacteria.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL Kevin!
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress