· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Let's have a toast...TO DISCUS!!! - Slaphppy7 So I don't have to drink alone to celebrate your new discus ;-) - wgoldfarb One more fish for the tank, happy the Discus got thier in such great shape. - steeler1 A Toast To An Awesome Discus Owner! - Slaphppy7 For a succesfull Discus move!! - steeler1 
    A toast to more discus! - Slaphppy7 For another safe arrival! - steeler1 For the loss of you Cory's - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie 
    Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 

Default PH drop & testing KH & GH

0 Not allowed!
    While my tank was cycling (fish in) I noticed my ph would drop so I tested my tap waters KH & GH and if memory serves I had a reading of 53.7 ppm GH/KH so I began adding crushed coral to my canister filter (about 1 cup) and my ph held between 7.2 - 7.6 (ph out of the tap is 7.6). So between adding the crushed coral and doing daily 50% water changes my ph stayed stable.

Now that my tank has cycled I started testing my water and doing water changes only on a weekly basis and my ph is again showing issues of instability. During the day it tests at about 7.23 but has dropped all the way to 6.62 by the morning then it starts to climb again. Adding fresh crushed coral to the filter and adding an additional cup of it (hanging in a media bag in the tank) hasn't really helped the problem. I've also done 3 days of 50% + water changes and that hasn't made much of a difference either. Water parameters are 0 ammonia / 0 nitrites / 0 nitrates (usually 5-10 but have just done 3 days of pwc's).

I tested the tap water again this evening - PH 7.6 out of the tap and the KH/GH were as follows: KH = 3 drops to turn water yellow (light yellow not dark). GH = 6 drops to turn water green (light green not dark).
    What exactly is my ppm GH/KH?

Even more confusing is my 10 gallon QT tank PH has tested 7.6 for three days. No live plants in there or driftwood though, I do have 5 live plants and a 10" x 2" piece of driftwood in the tank with the ph issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Let's have a toast...TO DISCUS!!! - Slaphppy7 So I don't have to drink alone to celebrate your new discus ;-) - wgoldfarb One more fish for the tank, happy the Discus got thier in such great shape. - steeler1 A Toast To An Awesome Discus Owner! - Slaphppy7 For a succesfull Discus move!! - steeler1 
    A toast to more discus! - Slaphppy7 For another safe arrival! - steeler1 For the loss of you Cory's - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie 
    Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    would limestone help? seachem alkaline buffer?

0 Not allowed!
    Why are you trying to adjust it?

Fish do better with a stable pH - they get stressed if you keep trying to alter it.

Many fish do fine in a range of pH, plus, it doesn't stay stable when a tank is cycling either.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not trying to adjust... just stabilize due to soft water low kh. tank is cycled.

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds to me like dissolved CO2 is building up during the night, making the PH drop. You can add an airstone at night to help drive off the excess gasses.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a conversion chart, assuming you are using API, http://cms.marsfishcare.com/uploads/...9%20insert.pdf

0 - 4 dH, 0 - 70 ppm : very soft 4 - 8 dH, 70 - 140 ppm : soft 8 - 12 dH, 140 - 210 ppm : medium hard 12 - 18 dH, 210 - 320 ppm : fairly hard 18 - 30 dH, 320 - 530 ppm : hard higher : liquid rock (Lake Malawi and Los Angeles, CA)
    (taken from: http://www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html )

What is the GH and KH in the tank? It is normal for pH to fluctuate in nature, sometimes well over a point, I think stable GH and KH are more important, but I know others will come along and disagree.
    http://mtfb.com/MTFBJUNE/MTFB2%20pag...bsarticle2.htm
    http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...-ph-shock.html
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
    It sounds to me like dissolved CO2 is building up during the night, making the PH drop. You can add an airstone at night to help drive off the excess gasses.

I do run a 12" bubble wand 24/7 but can easily run another over night to see if it improves

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Here is a conversion chart, assuming you are using API, http://cms.marsfishcare.com/uploads/...9%20insert.pdf

0 - 4 dH, 0 - 70 ppm : very soft 4 - 8 dH, 70 - 140 ppm : soft 8 - 12 dH, 140 - 210 ppm : medium hard 12 - 18 dH, 210 - 320 ppm : fairly hard 18 - 30 dH, 320 - 530 ppm : hard higher : liquid rock (Lake Malawi and Los Angeles, CA)
    (taken from: http://www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html )

What is the GH and KH in the tank? It is normal for pH to fluctuate in nature, sometimes well over a point, I think stable GH and KH are more important, but I know others will come along and disagree.
    http://mtfb.com/MTFBJUNE/MTFB2%20pag...bsarticle2.htm
    my kh (3 drops) = 53.7 very soft
    my gh (6 drops) = 107.4 soft

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1;1132574

[url
    Thanks for including those articles mommie1, I've already bookmarked them to read again and reference...it was like "ah haaaa"