· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hm... Might not end up with those lights then. I want to keep the java fern and anubius just want to fill out the tank more right now it looks like this.
    WP_20130121_002_zps80ad42a4.jpg I want to fill out around the edges with lower growing plants. I'm trying out pygmy chain sword but I now know it won't survive in my lighting (didn't do research before buying).
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    try out some val's?

they are classified as Med/high light plants, but everywhere i've read and heard from people that have them...they will work and grow in a low light/tech set up.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A wall of val's around the back and sides might look good. I'll keep the pygmy chains until they die and I'll looks for some jungle val's in the next few days.
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

0 Not allowed!
    Woop, didn't see that. Try this one instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-24-1600-...item43b3e0c34e

10k is a bit extreme for plants... and antic would do nothing for you.

Genocidex, don't knock it 'til you tried it. There are many hobbyists out there who love these fixtures, because of the price/performance ratio. They're perfectly fine.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Limming, your pygmy chains won't die... they'll just grow about 6" tall to reach the light. I had experienced that when I first setup my tank. If you want them lower, you'll need to go higher light. Also, your lower-light plants will be fine under high lighting, you'll just need to compensate with the right amount of CO2 additives & nutrients.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Kevin, if I go with the medium lights I've read that the low light plants well suffer is this not the case? I dose 10 mL of ferts weekly with no C02 just has a rough guess would 20 mL of ferts weekly be ok? Also would liquid C02 like API C02 booster work?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    Kevin, if I go with the medium lights I've read that the low light plants well suffer is this not the case? I dose 10 mL of ferts weekly with no C02 just has a rough guess would 20 mL of ferts weekly be ok? Also would liquid C02 like API C02 booster work?
    I hate to be so frank about it, but there really isn't a "set recommendation" for ferts/co2.
    each tank is different and it is an experiment to find what is best for you based on your set up.

the thing to remember is that light drives everything.
    low light plants don't suffer with medium or high light set ups.
    they (and all other plants) suffer because of an incorrect balance of lights/ferts/co2.
    when you increase one of those 3 factors, you need to adjust the other two accordingly.

I am a big fan of low tech, so medium-low lights, ferts and that's about it.
    I had awkward high light, and not enough co2 or ferts and i got green hair algae EVERYWHERE.

If you get medium lights and dose ferts with root tabs, that is a good start. if you notice algae, try co2, or decrease your lights (time/power/lift the fixture up)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I get it now I'll see if I can get the new lights tomorrow by trading in the slightly old (about 2 week) and getting the new I'm planning on going with two 15 watt bulbs.

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly what mizzou said. +5