· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today I was able to get both doors installed and the holes cut in the drywall. I hope to get the insulation up tomorrow. I think I will start on the new aquascape this weekend and possibly get the doors stained
    Having my planned stock in mind is there anything I should or shouldn't do with the aquascape? Any input will be appreciated.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    . Scott.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think the rainbows would like a lot of wide open spaces for swimming same with the barbs I'd imagine.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Denison barbs and bosemanis would appreciate plants in your aquascape. They're not really finicky, especially as your tank is so large.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Only a little progress this weekend , I was able to get the tank opening and new doors stained . I also added some door "catches" to hold the doors closed when another door in the house is opened...( they would bounce and rattle with the pressure change)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    . Scott.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I ordered my new stock today,or at least some of the new stock. I also did my annual clean out today .tore down and cleaned out my sump .......what a job !....I will be removing the sand and replacing with gravel one evening this week....
    It is amazing how much builds up in the sump ......!

I also added a powerhead and an air pump and small bubble wall.

I was at the LFS today and looking at some fake plants and other deco....wow! They are expensive for things large enough for my tank ....
    . Scott.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's why we suggest live plants! There tends not to be much price difference and they look a lot better then fake + help with water parameters.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK ,I have done some (a little) research on adding live plants and l now have a couple of questions ....1 substrate: I think if I go with live plants I will use fluorite ,is this a good choice? Also I don't really like the look of this stuff ,is it OK to have a couple of inches of fluorite and top it with an inch or so of gravel?
    2 plants: what are some easy plants for a beginner ? I would like some really tall plants in the back ( my tank is 30" tall) and some shorter ones in the front.....
    3 co2 : do I need to plan on some type of system to add co2 to the tank? If so what does something like this cost ?

Oh and by the way I went to the LFS to check on my stock order and the idiot didn't even place my order .....so against my better judgment I went in the local "pet smart" and they stock all but the loaches ....and I found another LFS that has some of the smaller ( I can't memmer the name) loaches that I liked ....so looks like this weekend will be when I get some new stock....
    . Scott.

0 Not allowed!
    Look into Turface MVP, with a tank this size it could save you a lot of money. It is a good substrate, you need things like root tabs for root feeders, but otherwise it works great.

For plants, with a deep tank like that I'd say get jungle vals for the back, for the front, thats a bit tougher, you could do dwarf sag. Or a bunch of crypts would be nice looking too

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea ...I looked at the turface stuff but still don't quite like the color....is it OK to top off either of those substrates with gravel? Do I need co2?
    . Scott.

0 Not allowed!
    Problem with topping anything would be that they will mix, specially if you have the heavier substrate on top