· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default my in wall 220g tank makeover

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,
    It has been suggested that I start a journal on my tank makeover. So here it is.....

To start I have been keeping fish of one type or another since the mid 1980's. I have kept south american cichlids , Oscars, pirhana, African cichlids, many different catfishes and my latest tank houses north American native game fish( green sunfish,redear sunfish,bluegill,channel catfish, small mouth bass and pumkinseed sunfish) .
    I am in the process of re-homing or relocating my current stock. If I don't find a suitable home they will be moved to my garden pond.
    The plan is to change my 220g in wall setup from the north American natives to some type of smaller community fishes. My first hurdle is heating this tank as the current set up doesn't require any heating. One of the difficulties is that the tank is actually in an unheated garage, well,semi heated. The temp in the garage rarely gets below 40f in the winter even when it is much colder outside.
    After pricing some of the high wattage heaters I have decided to build my own using electric water heater elements and two redundant temperature controllers.I plan on putting the heaters in the sump.
    So far I have run a new 20amp dedicated circuit to my tank to accommodate the added draw of the heating system as the tank now is on a shared 15amp circuit. I have a rough plan on the heating and will be starting that this week.
    I will post more as the project proceeds

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    I for one will be following this thread with great interest. Sounds pretty cool.

0 Not allowed!
    Hell yes, I'm in for this one! Great looking set-up as it is but jeez those fish look big. Good luck finding them a home!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Hell yes, I'm in for this one! Great looking set-up as it is but jeez those fish look big. Good luck finding them a home!
    I am kinda picky about where they go. If not they will go to the garden pond. Which, at least with the channel catfish was always the plan as it will get to large even for my 220g . I have a good home right here, but if someone else has a place and room I wouldn't be opposed to them going to a good home....

Scott

0 Not allowed!
    Ah yes. I assume you live somewhere hot to keep them in a pond?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    To better insulate the tank and cut down on the electric bill, just build a frame using right-angle aluminum stock and use that ultra-thin clear shrink plastic for windows. Fit this into the open frame the aquarium sits in. After shrinking with a air-dryer, that stuff is as clear as glass (almost invisible unless you look carefully.) With a one inch or so space between the plastic film and aquarium, the heat lost on the tank will be reduced by 50% or more. I made these for every window in my house and did cut my heat bill in half.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Ah yes. I assume you live somewhere hot to keep them in a pond?
    Nope, I live in indiana..... but these fish are native to this area so they winter just fine as long as the pond is big enough for the gasses to escape( I keep a small pond heater running in the super cold to keep it from freezing over completely) . I have had the same species in pond for five years. They aren't as big because they feed very little in the winter.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Denison barbs and bosemanis would appreciate plants in your aquascape. They're not really finicky, especially as your tank is so large.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Only a little progress this weekend , I was able to get the tank opening and new doors stained . I also added some door "catches" to hold the doors closed when another door in the house is opened...( they would bounce and rattle with the pressure change)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    . Scott.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I ordered my new stock today,or at least some of the new stock. I also did my annual clean out today .tore down and cleaned out my sump .......what a job !....I will be removing the sand and replacing with gravel one evening this week....
    It is amazing how much builds up in the sump ......!

I also added a powerhead and an air pump and small bubble wall.

I was at the LFS today and looking at some fake plants and other deco....wow! They are expensive for things large enough for my tank ....
    . Scott.