· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fish to house with a male Giraffe Cichlid?

0 Not allowed!
    Awhile ago I bought 3 Nimbochromis Venustus fry. They all turned out to be boys and now that they are big enough to start showing bits of aggression towards each other I think it's time I get rid of my other 2 and keep just the one.

I'm getting rid of all the other fish in the tank because it is such a terrible mix as this was my first cichlid tank and the people at the store told me all these fish would be a fine combo. No.

So I would like to know which other fish would be okay to go with this boy that he won't eat but something that will fill the rest of the tank out or even just get along with him until he's big enough and he could even be on his own.

He is currently 12cm

I have an 80 gallon tank.
    "Fish aren't meant to be in a box, kid. It does things to them"

0 Not allowed!
    id say some more venustus in the proper ratios(add like 9 females) or maybe go for an all male peacock/hap tank. Could look amazing when completed.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That does sound lovely but my tank is far to small for all that I think.

0 Not allowed!
    Nimbochromis venustus (giraffe cichlids aka venustus) are pretty much compatible with other Lake Malawi haps which are not members of Nimbochromis genus.

I've kept them with cyrtocara moori (malawi blue dolphins) and dimidiochromis compressiceps (malawi eye biters).

With that said haps that exceed 8" when full grown are probably best kept in 125gal+ tanks (venustus max out at 9-11", eye-biters at 10"-11").
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you could add a Fryeri as well as a Protomelas taeniolatus. Both male.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Fryeri seems like something I could further look into. The Protomelas taeniolatus looks stunning but a bit to big I think, unless they take awhile to grow because in that case I should have another tank up and running the will be larger than the 80G

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Red Empress is the same size as the Fryeri Maleri island I've got. So if you can house 1 I believe you could house the other. I've read in places where they can get upto 10" but I've never seem one and I think it depends on the genetics. I've had mine for a year and he stopped at about 7" unless he's slowly growing the other 3.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh okay. I just don't want them all to get to big. I'd prefer something in the range of 5-7" so I can fit more into a tank, I prefer tanks with more than just a couple of fish.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to see pics of the fish! I have 3 baby females growing out now and am going to be creating a breeding colony. Very interested in what you decide with these fish. I think a mix in the 80gal tank will be fine considering you are supposed to overstock anyway.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's