· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Finally moving fish and seeding and heater question

0 Not allowed!
    I thought this day was only a dream.........

ok, I only have help this weekend. So moving my 75s contents to the 120 and then moving my 75 to the house to be a goldfish tank. My question being on seeding. If i do 2x Cycled sponge filter and 2x Empeor 400s full of cycled media, will my tank be almost there. reason being I have 2x goldfish on hold that need to come me by this Sunday. They are on hold at lfs, he is getting his stock in and needing the tank space. I would assume this fine and just keep an eye on water params? Also i picked u.p an addition 300w jager. I was told by all the lfs's that 600w of heat is overkill in a 120 as if one sticks it will set boil the fish faster as one will work and the other stuck on.My assumption was it would heat water quicker and use less power, also evenly distributing the heat. would one heater be fine and not overworked

0 Not allowed!
    Well... boiling fish with a thermometer is rare, but it can happen. I've read about it happening on this forum, in the last year, in fact. That being said, it's usually dependent on the quality of the thermometer. Some have been known to flood (like an Aqueon I had), which can make them short circuit, electrocute your fish or lose its' calibration.

I wouldn't be too worried about this with a couple of jagers and you're right, it's great for heat distribution and will save you money in the long run, by drawing less power. If I were to upgrade to a 120g, I would use two thermometers (and many others on here would, as well).

As for the filtration, if you're just moving the fish from your 75 to the 120, using the same seeded filters, you'll be fine. You could even add several more fish, since the increase in water will dilute the toxins in the tank. Your filter will be fine with this bio-load and as the fish grow, the bacteria colonies will grow with them.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks, but not sure you understood my question, I am using 2x sponges and 2x AC110s on 120 till i get my fx5 and then will increase stock. I mean on my 75, it is un-cyled but with 2x cycled sponge filters running and 2x emperors running stocked full of cycled media. I am hoping it will be alright if i use the above and go ahead and add the 1x goldie for now

0 Not allowed!
    I am not sure I understand your stocking scenario either but I can tell you that whoever told you this:
    I was told by all the lfs's that 600w of heat is overkill in a 120 as if one sticks it will set boil the fish faster as one will work and the other stuck on.
    Does not have a fundamental understanding of how heaters work.

Scenario 1.
    If one [Heater 'A'] sticks on [And raises the temp of the water] and the other continues to operate properly [Heater 'B']. As soon as the water reaches a temp above what 'B' is set at - it will shut off as it senses no need to heat the water.

Scenario 2.
    If heater 'A' sticks off and heater 'B' continues to operate properly you still have one heater running to keep the tank at temp until you can replace the useless one.

In one scenario the extra heater makes no difference & in the other it saves your tank. The second heater is a good idea IMO.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788 View Post
    thanks, but not sure you understood my question, I am using 2x sponges and 2x AC110s on 120 till i get my fx5 and then will increase stock. I mean on my 75, it is un-cyled but with 2x cycled sponge filters running and 2x emperors running stocked full of cycled media. I am hoping it will be alright if i use the above and go ahead and add the 1x goldie for now
    Apparently, I'm still confused... If all of your filters are seeded, then you're fine. Is that what you're asking? It sounds to me like you're fully stocked on seeded filtration for both tanks. Add your stock already. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788 View Post
    If i do 2x Cycled sponge filter and 2x Empeor 400s full of cycled media, will my tank be almost there.
    Yes.
    Keep in mind the media will need a source of ammonia to stay cycled.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok, both questions answered. keep 2nd jagur and go ahead and add my goldie to my 75. lol thanks guys