· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Stocking?

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Stocking?

0 Not allowed!
    So after I can get together around $90 to get the stand, lighting, and substrate for my 20 gallon. I'll be ready to stock it.. Originally I wanted to add my Polly and my Molly from my 10 gallon, then get some dwarf pygmy cories and a group of schooling fish such as dwarf pencilfish or harlequin rasboras. However being as my Blue Gourami is nearing 7 years of age I really would like to get her into something bigger as she approaches the last few months of her life. She's still active and healthy and eats readily but she's losing color and you can just tell she's an old fish. What I'm asking is does anyone know if there is any other fish I could add to the 20, along with my Gourami, Black Molly and my Polly. The tank will have my eheim 2013 canister filter on it so it'll have roughly 3 times the amount of filtration needed as my filter is rated for 65 gallons. I was thinking about adding pygmy cories but I'm almost positive I'd never see them due to the size of my Gourami... Do you guys think it'd just be best to keep my Gourami with the Molly and Polly for the rest of her life?

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Bumping because no one replied :I

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I like traditional fish both because they are easy to keep and very beautiful. A school of cardinals (say 10 –14) add color like few others can and are active; they are also so much fun to watch. A school of Corries (6-8) is very much fun and functional. That would fill the tank nicely! The Gourami would go nicely as would the Molly. No idea what a polly is or how big so that could impact the school size ... .
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-12-2013 at 11:13 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    yeah... it depends on what polly is. Cardinals would work with a blue gourami. Pygmy cories are lovel fish but they need sand and plant cover for hiding. The bare setups I've seen done by some people on this forum wouldn't do those fish any justice.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    No idea what a polly is or how big so that could impact the school size ... .
    According to his profile, it's a Molly/Platy hybrid.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Seems tight then. I understand you guys have a 20 long and a 20 high. I suspect a long would be the best choice.

IMO I'd start with the 3 existing fish and add 6-7 cardinals. When the gourami goes to the big aquarium in the sky additions can be considered.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the suggestions. And yes a Polly is a platy/molly, he's currently about 3/4 an inch long and being he is almost a year old I suspect he won't be growing much bigger. He was a rare little hybrid I managed to produce when I had a 10 gallon stocked with a male molly and 3 female platies. All 4 fish were together for over a year when my little Polly was born. So theres no possible way he is a platy born from a female storing sperm. He's infertile and cannot reproduce with Mollies or Platies, trust me I've tried. But other then that he's one of the healthiest, most gorgeous fish I've ever owned. His main body color is a solid reddish brown with small black speckles around his back and head, his stomach has larger scales like a Variatus, and also he has a red mickey mouse tail and bluish tinge on his belly. He's very short, with an almost balloon Molly like belly, he has a very thick tail and an enormous caudal fin.

I don't really find cardinals the most attractive fish and to be honest I've never seen them in any stores near me, they only sell neons, which I also have a strong dislike for. I think I may pick head and tail light tetras or emperor tetras.. I have to see.. I would love to get some Threadfin Rainbows but from what I see they're really dull fish only displaying greens and blues.

OHHH and the 20 gallon in question is a 20 gallon high. Does anyone have any recommendations on what species of cory would be good??
    Last edited by Gesp56; 02-13-2013 at 12:21 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    That's only 60cm long. Doesn't leave you much options in stocking. If you must then get a smaller cory, habrosus maybe.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That's what I was thinking myself. I really do like the dwarf cory species. Hmm I think I may just have my Gourami, my Molly and my Polly in the 20 for now, then after my Gourami passes I'll get some dwarf cories and maybe a small school of tetra or rasbora.

0 Not allowed!
    that should work