· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Anyone own albino bristlenose pleco's?

0 Not allowed!
    Saw some of these at petco.

Been thinking about adding one more pleco to make a trio in my 40b.
    but i also think i'm at my limit (or near it) for the bottom of my tank)

current bottom stock
    1 rubberlip pleco
    1 bristlenose pleco (in QT)
    8 cory cats
    2 bolivian rams (as they prefer the bottom half)

something tells me i can squeeze him in, but at the same time, i shouldn't.

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I wouldn't do it - I would go with the "but at the same time I shouldn't" feeling LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I breed albino plecos. I have dwarf albinos but they still get around 5 to 6 ". They can be a bit aggressive at night, they will hunt fish down and take them. I also have dwarf browns, a bit smaller. I have L144 blue eyes in short and long fins, not as aggressive and smaller. I have calicos, reds, green tigers and long fin dwarf blacks, all smaller types of dwarfs. The smaller types are better, they don't hunt fish.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If the bristle nose isn't at full size and your tank has a good filter, it should be fine. Just watch out for the point when all of your bottom feeders reach full size xD

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Guess you've gotten plenty of answers but i'll add one more. I have an albino BNP in my 30. i LOVE that fish. Very active and very visible. between her (apparently a her as there are no bristles) and the snails they devour a zucchini round almost every day. She also loves watermelon and spinach. my only other bottom feeders are cory cats and she ignores them so I don't know how the bnp would be with other plecs. But, from what I have heard, this fish is much more visible than most plecos. Don't know if it's just my particular fish or the breed in general
    good luck deciding
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I have a pair of [Huge @ 5" :-D] L144s in my 90 and they are shy retiring types - Love 'em.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you're happy to do the extra changes to maintain parameters (if necessary) go for it, they're a great fish to watch when they come out, mine seem to have no problems interacting with the peppermints (or any of they other fish) in my 130

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my experience there are several types of pleco species presented as dwarf albinos. The type that represents L144 is very shy, it is a more delicate looking specimen, has a rounder face. The albino bristle nose type is much more aggressive, it looks tougher and has more prominent cat paws and head gear, a more aggressive head shape. These two types seem to be getting mixed together as they will interbreed. It can be hard to tell which you have, even some of the good sites have the two mixed together.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure those who own them love them - I was just thinking more in terms of how crowded the bottom of that tank would be but maybe I'm wrong and it would be fine. What do I know? LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    They are easy to tell apart. L144s have dark eyes [Not red] and are not true albinos, I have never seen them in big box stores or LFS locally.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.