· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sick neon?

1. Default sick neon?

0 Not allowed!
    I added some new stock today so naturally I have been staring at the tank all afternoon. I noticed that one of my neons (neons are not new, roughly 8 days ago I added them) looked different than the rest, the dorsal fin is clamped and his coloration is not as bright as the others. I have noticed some of his "schoolmates" picking on him a little. No other fish is showing any symptoms, parameters seem fine (0/0/<5) so I am wondering what gives? I tried to get a picture of him and the others so you can see the difference.

sick neon.jpg

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes stock is weak and bacteria that is ok suddenly becomes an issue when a fish is added to a tank (eight days is not long.) Also, ditto on adding new fish with new bacteria can harm exstablished fish. Best to do is nothing for now. Make sure the temp is as high as safe for the neons and other fish. Add an airstone or wand if you have one. Don't add liquid ferts for now and see how it does.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with Cermet

Neons can be a little tricky when they are first added to a tank. Lots of times you can't help losing one or two. That's just the nature of the beast.

I've added different batches of neons on three different occasions. On the first two I lost may two or three, but on the last one I lost them ALL.... It just depends on the strenght and health of the stock you end up bringing home, and it's pretty easy to stress a neon to the point of death just by moving it from tank to tank.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    If you see that neon really struggling you may want to remove it from the school before it dies. Some time the hard decision needs to be made for the betterment of the whole school. Neons are fickle.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I see him just kind of lounging around swimming at a 45 degree angle (head facing downward) but I am noticing the rummynoses are kinda bullying him, I have an empty 10g fully ready to go if you think isolation would help? I don't want to euthanize quite yet as he doesn't seem to have any fungus, just looks mal-nourished.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would put him in the spare 10 gallon and try and figure it out/cure. If you're able to help it then wait a few weeks then re-introduce it.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    I think sometimes we do more harm than good when we start messing with a fish for just looking a little "off" My personal opinion is that the best thing for him is to stay with his school in good quality water and just see what happens. Isolating him by himself in a new environment may just stress him even more.
    I would recommend treatment if there was some diagnosable thing, but since we can't narrow it down to a fungus or ick or something specific that's my 2 cents.

However, if you're concerned that he has something that could infect the rest of your stock in this tank it may be best to remove him for the well-being of all the others.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Crunchy

It's a safe bet that once you move that Neon to a new tank, he'll croak. Fish get easily stressed, especially when already sick. If you move him, you'll do him more harm than good. I've experienced this with less finicky fish. At this point, if I ever see a sick fish in my community tank, I'll wait a bit and see if water changes will help stabilize him. Clean water usually equates to healthy fish. If that doesn't help and he's still deteriorating, I'll attempt medication (but will not remove him from the tank, as that will more than likely kill him). It's a safe bet, in my opinion, that if you have one sick fish, you may have others.

Of course, sometimes you need to remove the fish, due to what kind of sickness it might have. If I were to remove one schooling/shoaling fish from the tank, I'd move more than one, so that they still feel safe and are less likely to stress. I did this on my last QT and both fish survived the move. One was too far gone, but the 2nd one is still kicking around and back in the community tank. The medication on the one who died didn't take, but he didn't die from the disease, either. I had to euthanize him via freeze chamber (my freezer). Felt like the humane thing to do. He was pretty bad.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the logic kevin/crunchy, the stress would probably kill it. He does only look a little "off" it's not anything I can diagnose, like fin rot/ick/fungus. And he did show interest in food at feeding time so, maybe he'll snap out of it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, so much for that. The neon didn't make it through the mini spike in ammonia I posted about in another thread. I kinda saw that coming, he was only getting worse as the night went on.