· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Boredom = Revamp tank. Need advice.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ahead of time for reading this looong post and for advice.
    At this current time I have a ten gallon tank with six neons, some shrimp and assassin snails. I am planning on upping the stock of neons to 12 or adding another type of fish. I'm not sure about that one yet.
    My tank has a black background with black aquarium sand, Mopani driftwood and live plants.
    Here's the lowdown on my plants. I have an Anubias anchored to the driftwood that I bought maybe 8 months ago. It doesn't appear to have grown a wink since I got it, but it's still a lush green and has not had any dead leaves. If I didn't know better I'd swear it was plastic. I have some java ferns all over that have produced many little plantlets over the last several months and in the center I have an amazon sword that has tripled in size since I got it.
    The sad thing is that the java fern and the sword suffered in my recent tank disaster in which an entire bottle of prime was dumped into my tank. Ever since that happened, the leaves turned brown on the java ferns and the leaves on the sword sort of seemed to waste away and leave a lacy skeleton of themselves behind. Because of this I have recently trimmed all those lacy dead leaves away from my beautiful amazon sword and I'm just watching to see if it recovers. With the java fern I just left them alone hoping that they would also grow new plantlets again.
    My light is not the standard light that came with the tank kit. It's a hood that I bought separately on the clearance rack at the fish store. It has a single florescent light bulb in it. I can't find the wattage listed anywhere on the bulb or the hood itself. Anyone have any ideas where to find that?

My husband has an irrational fear of fish. It was all I could do to talk him into the ten gallon tank when I brought it home from a friend's house one day. I don't think I'll ever be able to talk him into letting me upgrade to a 55+ gallon tank so I'm stuck with what I have. I feel a constant need to fidget and do stuff with my tank so I decided to try planting it heavily and set up some DIY C02.

Can anyone direct me to a good light for a ten gallon tank that would support a high maintenance planted system with C02? I need to have a full hood to keep the cat out, I can't have a light that just sits over an open tank. My search results for this thus far have been pretty disappointing, so I thought I'd come right out and ask.

Also, I'm quite happy with my aquarium sand, but I could switch to a flourite or some other type of nutrient rich substrate. Would I need to do this or would root tabs be sufficient? I don't even know what plants I will be getting. This is just an idea in the making. I've already ordered the tubes and valves for the C02 system from amazon and I'm just looking for help planning the lighting, substrate and types of plants.
    Any suggestions or advice you have would be of huge help to me. Thanks!
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    You could get a HOt5 or power compact fixture and build a canopy around it. That is what I did for my tanks.

You could use fertilized sand but your best bet would be a substrate that has a high cation exchange capacity. This product for instance is cost effective and comes in different color options.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshw...trate_p/ss.htm
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    12 neons in a 10 gallon... that's like 45 liters? Awful lot of fish for something that size.

0 Not allowed!
    Aeonflame - I like that substrate! And I think it's reasonably priced. I'm definitely going to consider that as a possibility pending a decision on which plants I will use.
    How would one go about building a canopy? Is it something I'm likely to be able to figure out depite not being an extremely handy person? I do have a big shop of tools at my disposal.

Tallduchie - With an AC 30 and a good weekly water change schedule, I feel like that stock is okay for a 10 gallon. Neons have a very small bioload. Before my prime spill incident I had 12 and never had a spike in ammonia or nitrite and very little nitrates. Stocking is such a subjective thing and you have to take into consideration the type of fish and the maintenence schedule too.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 02-10-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress