· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Aquarium Housekeeping

0 Not allowed!
    I may be moving in the coming months - depending on whether I get a job I've interviewed for - so I'll finally have the room for the larger tank I want. I'm looking at a 75 or 55 gallon tank for my

2 Pink Kissing Gouramis
    1 Common Pleco
    and my Betta

I'm looking into having an Aquaclear 110 hang on the back filter and a Fluval 406 Canister filter. I'd run Sponge, Floss/Carbon when needed and some Ceramic in the Aquaclear and the Canister would have Sponge and mostly ceramic biomedia.

I think that is enough filtration for those four fish such a large tank.

My hardest problem with my current 36 or 40 gallon tank is simply waste - these guys are messy little buggers and no matter how much I try they do a pretty good job of clogging my intakes in a short period of time.

I change 10 gallons weekly and clean the mechanical parts of the filter (sponge and such) in the siphoned off waste water once a month. But every time I siphon it's just waste waste waste in the gravel bed.

I currently have a Fluval 205 on the 36 gallon tank - is this my problem? Am I under powered? Or are these fish just that messy...

I've also taken to pulling out most forms of decorations aside from broad leafed plants (fake - It's not planted) and wood decorations. Any crevices or holes in the more decorative pieces just fill with waste.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'd rather get a handle on it before I upgrade! Would it be worth it to be one of those battery operated siphons? I know most people hate those and say they don't work well - but with this level of waste it might be easier for spot clean ups than buckets..

0 Not allowed!
    You'll need that bigger tank for the pleco as well as the gourami but I'm sure you know. Clogging intakes can be dealt with with a piece of sponge over the intake. A 406 by itself should easily be able to keep a 75 clean.

As long as you are on 0 ammonia and nitrite and your nitrate stays below 20ppm I wouldn't worry too much about visible dirt.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ...totally just replied a nice long post and it didn't post...lol.

Instead of a sponge could I perhaps fashion a sleeve out of maybe a filter media bag? Would this cause my tank to become even worse with waste than it already is though?

I'm sure a 406 could handle the 75 fine - I'm hoping the 110 Aquaclear might serve as a more mechanical workhorse and provide for easier cleanings when needed.

Even if my parameters are ok - the waste is unsightly - is it my filter that is not powerful enough to handle this? or are these fish just that messy?

Also - they don't tell you at 18 that plecos are monsters - 7 years later now I've found that out!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pleco's are poo machines. And your common plec is especially productive because of his size. And he's only going to get bigger. Glad you're getting him a larger tank.
    I have a battery operated gravel vac. Don't waste your money. My Aquean water changer vacs more waste than the battery unit.

One other thing... most here suggest a minimum of 50
    % water changes weekly. I'd up the # of gallons your changing out. It might help with water clarity if that's an issue due to the waste, not to mention it's a better environment for the fish.
    It's just a part of keeping plecos - vaccing up after them :o)
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-10-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Water clarity isn't an issue - that's why I haven't really increased my changes at all. It's mostly just the waste hanging around the bottom that can be kicked up and cause cloudy water (for a few minutes until it settles)

I've been wanting to get the larger tank for him for a long time - glad it's coming soon - he's not cramped - but he could def use more room.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
    Water clarity isn't an issue - that's why I haven't really increased my changes at all. It's mostly just the waste hanging around the bottom that can be kicked up and cause cloudy water (for a few minutes until it settles)
    I'd still increase the w/c percentage. That's a big fish and a lot of waste. I'm sure he'd appreciate more fresh water :o) As long as your changing it, just as well get the best bang for the buck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    How often do you vac the bottom? You don't always have to pair it with big water changes. Two vacs a week shouldn't take you 5 minutes and you only need to replace a bucket (or less) of water if done proficiently.

Poop vaccing is your job when you own a big pleco.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I'd still increase the w/c percentage. That's a big fish and a lot of waste. I'm sure he'd appreciate more fresh water :o) As long as your changing it, just as well get the best bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    How often do you vac the bottom? You don't always have to pair it with big water changes. Two vacs a week shouldn't take you 5 minutes and you only need to replace a bucket (or less) of water if done proficiently.

Poop vaccing is your job when you own a big pleco.

Alright alright - you guys convinced me :-p - should I increase the frequency of changes - 2x a week or just increase the amount 1x a week? Probably 2x just to keep a handle on the waste.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nobody has commented on my question regarding my current filter.

Regardless of water changes and such - is my Fluval 205 appropriate for this tank size and load?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
    Nobody has commented on my question regarding my current filter.

Regardless of water changes and such - is my Fluval 205 appropriate for this tank size and load?
    IMO you are under-filtered, My 206 does a fine job on a 20G long if that tells you anything.

Ultimately it depends on where your filtration keeps your water parameters but I tend to over filter and stock lightly. . .
    That's roughly half the filtration I would use on that tank with that stock, & [As you intend to]I would have additional mech [already].
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.