· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Mister Limpet, UGF's have been pretty much phased out of the aquarium life. the invention of the HOB filters really drove the UGF's out of business because of issues that people have had.

Proper cleaning of the gravel can prove they still work well, but the ease of HOB and canister filters outweighs the maintenance of the UGF's. So that is why now a days people recommend HOB over the UGF. easier and better filtration. but you are right, back in the day, UGF's ruled!

But back to the OP.

what is your feeding schedule?

I would suggest removing the UGF and getting HOB filtration that is rated to 60gallons at the min.

The species I suggest you rehome are the angel and the redtail shark.
    The gourami can be your showcase fish for the tank...and a very pretty one at that.

But the angel+gourami=1 dead
    the redtail shark needs a minimum of 4ft long tank, and in a 30gallon, he'll destroy your cory's with his aggression.

if you remove those two fish, up your cory's to 6, and then get quality school's for your tetra's. you will have a fantastic tank.
    That is a fantastic idea! My current feeding schedule is 08:00, 15:00, and 20:00. This gives me an excuse to get my old 55 back in operating condition. As for the 30g I am really liking the idea of an HOB, but am a tab bit confused on the aspect of protein skimmers. Sorry for the noobie question, but could somebody please explain them to me?

Thanks for all the help!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is a big feeding schedule.

try cutting it back to once a day, if not every other day.

healthy fish can easy handle that change.
    (as I personally feed every other day)

If you have your 55 sitting around and can get it up and running properly (cycled)
    then your angel will love it in there and you can design a nice stock around her.

and the HOB is a great choice, but they aren't protein skimmers. those are mainly for saltwater set up's and unique freshwater set ups.

for 90% of our tanks, we don't need protein skimmers. just a normal hob like an aqua clear 50. they have great deals for filters online, it'll save you good money rather than a chain store.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    That is a big feeding schedule.

try cutting it back to once a day, if not every other day.

If you have your 55 sitting around and can get it up and running properly (cycled)
    then your angel will love it in there and you can design a nice stock around her.
    +1 to all of the above. The 55 will be much more appropriate for the angel - my understanding is angels should be in tanks no smaller than 29-30 gal. Plus, if there are smaller tetras in the other tank you mentioned, they could get eaten once the angel is big enough to swallow them.

Regarding feeding, many of us feed once a day and fast our fish once a week - I also feed every other day - they don't suffer - only give as much as the fish will eat in 3min.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, what do you all recommend I do with the redtail?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With proper layout and design, you may be able to put him in the 55.

but it is a risk because he's aggressive and so is the angel. they may get into it.

but he can't stay in that 30gallon, he'll tear up the cory's and start to hunt those tetra's. they are mean fish.

so for your 55, your question becomes, do you want the RTS (red tailed shark) as your only bottom dweller, or do you want other fish.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, might have to sell him to my LFS, as I definitely want more then the RTS in terms of bottom dwellers.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good call. i think that is the safest bet for what your circumstances are.

but most people recommend the ac lines of hob's, like for your 30gallon, an ac70 would be perfect. or two ac 30's. just something that is rated 2x the size of the tank and ideally 8-10x turnover per hr rating.
    for your 55, you could get the fluval 306/406 with an ac70 hob, that'd be a good combo there too.