· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Filter options for a 30g

0 Not allowed!
    Hey fellow aquarists I currently am running an HOB and a UGF filter on my 30 gallon, both of them are just not getting the job done well enough. My question here is there such a difference in a DIY canister filter vs a store bought canister? Or would a sump be the best inexpensive route to go here?
    Last edited by fishguy125; 02-10-2013 at 04:44 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what are the ratings for your HOB and UGF?

current stock?

there's something going on that makes you believe they aren't doing their job, and we'll help pin point that.

but without knowing your current filtration/stocking
    i can't recommend a filter (like mbuna tanks need super filtration...stuff like that)

3. Default Re: Filter options for a 30g

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize, but I have no idea what the rating for the HOB is, I just had an extra one lying around so I popped it on the tank. The UGF is rated for the tank size. The tank has an amber tint continually, which makes me think that the BB are somehow not being as effective as possible, even though the gravel is sparkly clean. It is stocked with:
    4 Cory cats
    1 mid size angel
    1 blue gourami
    1 (small) retail shark
    4 t bone rasboras
    4 serpae tetras.
    And has no live plants.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by fishguy125; 02-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    That is a heavy load for a 30 gal. Many here feel canisters can work well on small tanks like that so consider such a unit. They hold a lot of bio-media so can support a large bacteria population. A slump seems like massive overkill for such a small tank; a simple store bought canister is fast and easy - just transfer some media from the HOB and keep the HOB running!

Remember, stopping a UGF can be deadly on fish - the massive waste buildup under the unit and in the substrate can be a big issue. Most people remove them (and the tank turns dark and muddy from the waste - so rehousing fish is a good idea during the removal phase.)

What are your water parameters - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How often do you change water and how much? What is the pH?
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cermet that you are a bit over stocked. You could add an additional HOB filter rated for a 30 and then have appropriate filtration.
    Do you by any chance have driftwood in your tank? If so, tannins could be leaching from the wood and coloring your water. it's not harmful but it can give the water a bit of a tea color
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default Re: Filter options for a 30g

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I agree with Cermet that you are a bit over stocked. You could add an additional HOB filter rated for a 30 and then have appropriate filtration.
    Do you by any chance have driftwood in your tank? If so, tannins could be leaching from the wood and coloring your water. it's not harmful but it can give the water a bit of a tea color

As a matter of fact, yes there is a large piece in the tank. What do you recommend I do with it?

My nitrate levels are around 40ppm and ammonia is a bit above normal, and ph is 7.6.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishguy125 View Post
    As a matter of fact, yes there is a large piece in the tank. What do you recommend I do with it?
    The tannins will eventually leach out and you won't have that problem. It could take a few weeks or a few months. I actually like the tea colored look of water with tannins. it's a personal choice. If the piece is not too large, you could boil it for a while to take some of the color out of it but in the meantime, it doesn't hurt anything

My nitrate levels are around 40ppm and ammonia is a bit above normal, and ph is 7.6.
    If you have ammonia, then your tank is not cycled. and those nitrates are a bit high. I'd start testing the water with your API liquid test kit every morning. And every day that your ammonia approaches .50 I'd do a 50% water change. That will lower your nitrates as well. Your goal is for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and less than 20 nitrates. In the meantime, get another filter. Once it's seeded with beneficial bacteria you should be able to manage your tank with weekly water changes of 30 - 50%

Good luck and hope this helps
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my experience an UGF and any HOB filter on a 30 gal. is always plenty. (edit: unless grossly over stocked) For years we ran tanks with only UGF. You just have to vacuum the gravel regularly.

While it is full, I don't see your bio-load giving me any issues in a 30, except for my preference for less than weekly water changes. Are you sure you're not over feeding?

And I agree, water tint from the driftwood is nice.
    Last edited by Mister Limpet; 02-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.

9. Default Re: Filter options for a 30g

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Limpet View Post
    In my experience an UGF and any HOB filter on a 30 gal. is always plenty. (edit: unless grossly over stocked) For years we ran tanks with only UGF. You just have to vacuum the gravel regularly.

While it is full, I don't see your bio-load giving me any issues in a 30, except for my preference for less than weekly water changes. Are you sure you're not over feeding?

And I agree, water tint from the driftwood is nice.
    I don't think I am over feeding, but will keep a close eye on that. Maybe I just have to buy a new HOB and not use one from the basement :P which species do you recommend I move? I was thinking of moving the angel to my plant tank that has a couple of tetras in it (people kept complaining there were no fish) which is a 28g tall.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mister Limpet, UGF's have been pretty much phased out of the aquarium life. the invention of the HOB filters really drove the UGF's out of business because of issues that people have had.

Proper cleaning of the gravel can prove they still work well, but the ease of HOB and canister filters outweighs the maintenance of the UGF's. So that is why now a days people recommend HOB over the UGF. easier and better filtration. but you are right, back in the day, UGF's ruled!

But back to the OP.

what is your feeding schedule?

I would suggest removing the UGF and getting HOB filtration that is rated to 60gallons at the min.

The species I suggest you rehome are the angel and the redtail shark.
    The gourami can be your showcase fish for the tank...and a very pretty one at that.

But the angel+gourami=1 dead
    the redtail shark needs a minimum of 4ft long tank, and in a 30gallon, he'll destroy your cory's with his aggression.

if you remove those two fish, up your cory's to 6, and then get quality school's for your tetra's. you will have a fantastic tank.