· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Getting Neons to School Tighter

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 65 gallon with 25 Neon Tetras, 4 Otos, and a Betta.

I was hoping the Betta would provide the semi-aggressive, but non life threatening, presence necessary to make the Neons nervous enough to keep a tight school.

Can anyone recommend a fish that could help keep the Neons a bit more "in check" and keep them schooling a bit tighter?

I will be perfectly happy if there is no such option, I just liked the way the tank looked better when they were first introduced and a bit more unsure of their surroundings, keeping together for safety.

Tank is heavily planted, if that makes a difference in stocking suggestions.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cool picture with that cat and tank.

but sadly, there isn't anything to recommend that would get your neon's to school

schooling is a defensive behavior that fish do when they are scared or stressed (as they were stressed when they first entered the tank)

not seeing the schooling behavior is a good sign that you have a healthy and balanced tank.

seeing the schooling behavior means you have stress
    and what stress causes is diseases, and neon's are not known to be that hardy to handle such stress. (meaning they will be susceptible to fin rot, ich etc easier/more frequently)

personally, you are very lightly stocked for your 65gallon tank.

if you are going for a big community style tank. then try to add 10-15more neons.
    remove the betta
    up your oto's to 10
    and then add some (like 2 or 3 of one species) dwarf cichlids (kribs, or bolivian rams, or german blue's, or keyholes)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks - my cat likes watching the tank more than I do!

That's kind of what I figured with the Neons, so thanks for confirming.

I know the tank is stocked lightly (there's actually a 20 gallon sump below it, too), but I prefer a sparser tank. I plan on adding a bunch more Otos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and some Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

Thanks for the quick feedback, though!

0 Not allowed!
    What you are asking for is a way to keep your fish all stressed out so they will act as you wish them to. I hardly think this is the life the neon's would appreciate.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with the two above this.

What you got is what neons like, a light to moderate planted tank with wood.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Agree with the two above this.

What you got is what neons like, a light to moderate planted tank with wood.
    These are good points. Everybody assumes neons come from an environment that is thickly planted.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    There's some, not much but some, footage on youtube that shows them in the wild. Very interesting.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with all of the above. Neons not schooling = happy neons.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tetras generallu are not tight schoolers. Even when stressed, they prefer to hide if possible.

A large school of rasbora should give you what you are looking for.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Just a little input from my experience.

I have a small school of zebra danios, most of the time they are just free swimmers, but occasionally (i think when my male apisto acts up) the danios school up. It happens probably 2-3 times a week and only lasts a few minutes, but its cool to see... I'd think a pair of dwarf cichlids would encourage the occasional schooling without causing any sort of constant stress