· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default HOB Filter Modding

0 Not allowed!
    So my HOB filter uses carbon cartridges, and I want to avoid using them ever again as from reading and learning on here they are the wrong way to go. For starters I have added a bunch of fluval biomax pieces to a filter media bag and shoved it in behind the cartridge - it has been there since the beginning when I started the tank & cycle like 5 weeks ago. So my question is, how do I go about removing the carbon cartridge without losing the cycle, and making sure I don't need them anymore? I have another media bag and more fluval pieces, should I just shove another in there, wait a couple weeks, then toss the cartridge?

If that's the case, going forward would I just rinse the media bags in tank water and never have to replace them? (never meaning, for like a year or 2 because from what I understand those little pieces last quite a long time).

0 Not allowed!
    If you can shove some in there without decreasing your flow, go for it.

Is this the only filter on the tank? What is your bioload aka stock?

Bio maxx last a long time. As long as it is not falling apart you do not need to replace it.
    Roll the Dice!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would just remove the cartridge now and use the extra space for more bio media. If the cycling hasn't completed yet, it shouldn't hinder it too much, if at all. I don't think too much of the bacteria colony will have taken up residence in the carbon. Doing it after the cycling completes may cause a small spike again. Once it is cycled, and well established, then yes, just rinse the media in dechlorinated or old tank water. No need to replace. But don't do the first cleaning for several(3-4) months, to allow the colony to be solidly established.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's the only filter on the tank, which is 36g. It's rated for 55g and I know people say that you should get double the rating because flow decreases when you add media but quite honestly I haven't seen any reduction in flow and the levels have stayed exactly where they need to be.

That being said I have 17 total tertras (11 neons, 3 rummynose 3 skirts) I plan on adding 6-7 more rummies.
    3x panda garra
    1 GBR
    5 assassin snails

It's heavily planted.

Edit: Do I need to used a media bag or should I just put loose bio maxx pieces in there?

0 Not allowed!
    Look at your cartridge.. It's only a month or so old and it's a bit funky right? [& They only get worse]

Despite your visual acumen, Logic dictates that if there is funk on it - The water is obviously not flowing through it as unimpeded as when it was new.
    Make sense?

That your levels are acceptable is a far better measure of the job your filter is doing.

Loose won't hurt anything but do use a bag for the media. You don't want to be picking them out to rinse them, That would be a total PITA. Don't neglect to get some floss or batting for mech filtration in there as well.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Some pantyhose can be use to improvise a bag.

Everytime I read threads like this I'm amazed at what silly contraptions some manufacturers put on the market. Carbon cartridges...

@fishnoob: Stuff that falls apart needs replacing. Ceramic media needs partial and gradual replacement after 4-6 months because the stuff can clog.