· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Growth hormones and cichlids?

0 Not allowed!
    I've been researching this, and I haven't really been able to find anything other that articles in scientific journals. Has anyone ever experimented with this? I know fisheries use this technique, but I was wondering if anyone has tried with African cichlids?
    "It's not the strongest, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the ones that are most adaptable."
    - Charles Darwin

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    why would you want to alter the natural growth rate?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by daimen123 View Post
    why would you want to alter the natural growth rate?
    To get them to grow faster
    "It's not the strongest, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the ones that are most adaptable."
    - Charles Darwin

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    faster but not healthy. I think fisheries use it for growing fish to be a food source not for long term. I don't think that would be healthy for the fish. I think Mbuna grow pretty fast when feeding properly.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, but I believe fisheries dose them fairly high due to less than aquarium water quality, plus they're more focused on muscle growth (there is a specific hormone for this in fish). I was wanting to experiment with a new batch of fry with moderate to low amounts. Most of the journals I've read states that the hormones researchers used mainly effects the pituitary gland, so I would think that in low doses it could stimulate overall growth much faster when coupled with typical growth enhancement techniques. I don't even know if you would need a permit or license to possess such a substance (I kind of doubt it would be in the same class as HGH, but nonetheless it's still growth hormone), but there doesn't really seem to be many online resources to suggest otherwise. I am just curious if anyone has any information from experience or personal research.
    - Charles Darwin

0 Not allowed!
    Since most people can't even handle a turkey fryer safely I'd expect hormones not to be available to the general public

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    growth hormones do play with the pituitary gland.

(hence why those people that are 8ft tall with world records, generally have cancer on their pituitary gland that causes the abnormal growth)

and as talldutchie pointed out, that isn't available to the general public. It is a strictly guarded medication for humans, and even for the animal world (because we share similar make up-for that gland controlling growth) if it were on the shelve's of petco, then i could get it and finally reach 6ft tall. haha

but unless you are well educated on the biological sciences behind growth hormones and the pituitary gland, PLUS the other side affects and how to control them, you'd be wasting your money by killing your fish or raising them with horrible diseases. this isn't one of those things where you dose 5ml/50gallons and presto, 2 weeks later your fry is now 2inches long.

if you wanted big fish, you should have bought big fish (the adult's).
    forcing them to grow isn't the moral thing to do here and if you are raising fry for business, then patience is your friend.
    if you can get quality fry and raise them the correct way...your customers will be much happier knowing that they have natural fish and don't risk any freaky side affects once they purchase them.

and if you want my source: i'm a biomedical engineer
    so after all my classes on for biology...the big thing to take note of: don't mess with nature.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm taking it that nobody has looked into this. I studied biology as well, so I'm more interested in results from experiments that speculation. The journals that I've researched had impressive results, but to a point. Once doses got to a certain level the effects became detrimental (e.g. pituitary tumors, sterility, death, etc.). Too much of anything is bad to put it plainly. Also, as far a legality, I've found a few farm supply companies that sell injectable carp pituitary hormone, so it can be obtained (with permit or license). The information I've sifted through suggests that the pituitary gland of fish is a bit different from humans (let alone mammals). I was just curious to see if anyone has experimented (ethically and objectively) with this. Thanks for the opinions.
    Last edited by aquaman2013; 02-10-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    - Charles Darwin

0 Not allowed!
    Once again, why bother? Really, why bother?!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just my 2 cents here.

Although I understand your scientific curiosity, I really don't think you stand to gain anything from this. Especially in the hobbiest part of aquariology. If you continue on and are able to perform the experiments, it will take you years to be able to formulate accurate results. Based on the fact that you would need to have several dozen tanks of similar fry with different dosages, and perhaps one or two test groups with no hormones. Then wait for them to grow right through adulthood and death, determining the health levels, disease frequency, actual life span comparisons, and doing microscopic analysis. Perhaps institutions or other heavily funded outlets have already performed these tests. But at our level, highly unlikely. I'm sure there are certain fish farms out there doing it, whether for ornamental or human consumption species. But I can almost guarantee they didn't perform any experiments. With such massive quantities of stock, they probably can absorb losses from time to time and just play with dosage amounts. If you were to attempt it, you can be rest assured that any serious hobbiest with knowledge of it would never knowingly purchase fish from you, should you pursue that avenue.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!