· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation Serious Fungus Problem

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys.

Recently i purchased 3 new congo tetras for my tank to add to the school of them. After i few days i noticed one has a small white spot on its fin, so i instantly started doing regular water changes. Then i woke up yesterday and two more of the congoes have developed fungus growth, one of them being really serious and in its mouth.
    Iv had this tank for two years and the only fish that have had fungus are the occasional feeder fish, which i scoop out immediately.
    I've also had a large protein build up in my tank, and so only a week ago introduced a bag or "Purigen" into my eheim canister, could this be what is stressing the fish out?
    Anyways, any tips guys for combating this?

Thanks

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pictures will help identify what your problem is. It could be as benign as fin rot or as serious as columnaris.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to popcorn. photos would help.
    In the meantime, as a safe guard, I'd net the affected fish and put them in a QT/hospital tank and start doing large daily water changes. I'd do some big W/C on the display tank as well since these sick fish were introduced into it. As Homemade popcorn says - if it's something as serious as columnaris it could wipe out your entire stock. Better safe than sorry. Make certain you watch your other fish closely and I would not medicate until you figure out what's wrong.
    It's unfortunate you didn't QT these fish before introducing them to your stable tank :o( Good luck and I hope all goes well.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sick congo 2.jpgSick Congo 3.jpgsick congo.jpg

So these are all photo of the one with the really serious fungus in his mouth.
    Im fairly certain the others are just fin rot, coz they are rather minor and both have their fins held close to their body.
    Sorry about the poor photography, dont have the best camera, so i couldnt get photos of the other two, the fungus was too small :P.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's hard to tell, but clamped fins are not a good sign. I would do three things with the last being up to your own discretion. First, reduce the temp in the tank so as to slow down the spread of whatever it is. Next, start medicated baths with the fish. I use QuIck Cure which is a combination of Malachite Green and Formalin, some real nasty stuff. 1-3 drops per gallon in a bath for 30 mins every other day. It's a little rough on the fish but it'll get the job done. Last thing you can do is start dosing the tank with API Triple Sulfa. It won't ruin your cycle and I've found it much more effective than the API antibiotics which kill your cycle and thus reduce water quality which isn't conducive to your fish healing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a million for the help guys. Fingers crossed they come good

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    One issue - lowering the temperature helps fungus to grow and decreases a fish's ability to fight fungus (that is one reason warm blooded creates rarely get fungus infections.) When fish are ill, it is almost always better to raise the temperature. Antibiotics will do zero against fungus but I agree with homemadepopcorn that after the fungus is treated (considering the fin issues) an antibotic might be useful - just be sure to remove any fungus meds first (that is, if you use any fungus meds in the main tank.)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This photos are not clear, but I see fin rot and possibly a mouth bacterial infection, not fungus. Bacterial infections are white or grey ulcers that eat into the flesh of the fish. They also have a dense cotton ball look to them. Fungus has a stringy look to them that can form fluffy ball on top of their skin.

Treat with Methylene blue in a QT tank to start with lots of aeration. It's a very mild treatment for the fish. If the infection is serious, use a combination of kanamycin and bifuran for 10 days, with regular water changes.