· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default What is the best plant to use in a refugium to reduce nitrates in 55 gallon tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking to find a more self-sustainable method to reduce nitrates in my 55 gallon tank. The tank is heavily stocked with cichlids, and I want to find a plant to help reduce the nitrate levels so I don't have to change the water every 3-4 days. I do plan to use a sump tank (a 10 or 15 gallon tank with 100 watt HPS). Reducing my stock is not an option because crowding my tank has kept my fish's temperament in check.
    "It's not the strongest, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the ones that are most adaptable."
    - Charles Darwin

0 Not allowed!
    Cermet.... This one has you written all over it!

OP There will be some info coming your way shortly, You might consider a bigger sump although I admit I have no idea what sized scrubber would be required...
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    The below link has some details about building algae scrubbers if that is what you choose. Be careful to make note of the required screen size, water flow, and light intensity. If you cut corners on any one of those three requirements, your scrubber will not give you the results your looking for and in the end might be more work than it's worth. When done right they remove a lot of nitrates and phosphate very well.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...cs-The-Summary

As a alternative, hornwart (Spelling?) is a fast growing plant that can help resduce nitrates and phosphates. It also is a easy to grow plant. You could certainly give it a try while you research srubbers and possibly other options
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-09-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any suggestions on where I can get a good deal on the cermet or hornwart?
    "It's not the strongest, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the ones that are most adaptable."
    - Charles Darwin

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another idea I had was growing some type of carpet algae and placing it in the tank. It might be more work, but could it achieve the same effect in reducing nitrate levels? Plus it would give them something to munch on!
    - Charles Darwin

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman2013 View Post
    Any suggestions on where I can get a good deal on the cermet or hornwart?
    Oh - OOPS I was obviously not very clear.

Cermet is a member here, About 50% of his posts here contain the phrase 'algae scrubber' [Maybe 100% - It might be in his signature ] which is what the info Cliff linked you to is about.[I even PMd him so I assumed he would be here shortly to talk about them.]

Apparently he is missing his moment.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R View Post
    Oh - OOPS I was obviously not very clear.

Cermet is a member here, About 50% of his posts here contain the phrase 'algae scrubber' [Maybe 100% - It might be in his signature ] which is what the info Cliff linked you to is about.[I even PMd him so I assumed he would be here shortly to talk about them.]

Apparently he is missing his moment.
    Gotcha! I'll look at some of his posts until then. Thanks!!!
    - Charles Darwin

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R View Post
    Cermet.... This one has you written all over it!

OP There will be some info coming your way shortly, You might consider a bigger sump although I admit I have no idea what sized scrubber would be required...
    Thanks! I'm going to continue mechanical filtration (since it's taking care of the ammonia and nitrite), so essentially this sump would deal strictly with reducing nitrate levels, although it wouldn't hurt to add a little bit more filtration!
    - Charles Darwin