· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Add more plants.

If your nitrates are that high, with a CO2 source and some light you could have a thriving plant export business.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnieW View Post
    I would like to add more small fish to my tank. I got this 29 gallon tank thinking I could have 29 inches of adult fish.
    I am rehoming my angle fish and that will leave me with 2 platys, 3 neon tetras, 2 cory cats and one guppy. I figure that is 13 inches of adult fish.
    Connie
    BTW I should mention that the 1" of fish per gallon doesn't apply to fish that grow larger than an inch as adults - the thought is this: would you put a 10" fish in a 10gal tank?

The # of fish you put into a tank depends upon the amount of filtration, how much waste the fish produces, how large it will eventually become and how much space the fish needs.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    As to the original question, my 2 eurocents....

1. Get a sample to some kind of testing lab that's willing to guarantee your results. You'll know for sure and you got something to confront the city. As others pointed out this is distinctly unhealthy.
    2. Consider a big RO device. (for example: http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/products.htm)You could use it for your household water and use the grey water that comes out of it in your garden. Downside, investment is likely to be several hunderd $
    3. As for the tank itself. An algae scrubber is one idea. Simply planting the tank very well is another. Fast growing species will have the biggest effect on nitrates. I find amazon frogbit does an amazing job on nitrates. Anything from the hygrophila family. Downside. Frequent pruning required.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp View Post
    BTW I should mention that the 1" of fish per gallon doesn't apply to fish that grow larger than an inch as adults - the thought is this: would you put a 10" fish in a 10gal tank?

The # of fish you put into a tank depends upon the amount of filtration, how much waste the fish produces, how large it will eventually become and how much space the fish needs.
    Well, you saw what I have and I think the largest ones will be the cory cats. I rehomed the angel fish I had and I am looking to have only neons, white clouds and maybe some type of shrimp and small loaches for the snails.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    As to the original question, my 2 eurocents....

1. Get a sample to some kind of testing lab that's willing to guarantee your results. You'll know for sure and you got something to confront the city. As others pointed out this is distinctly unhealthy.
    2. Consider a big RO device. (for example: http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/products.htm)You could use it for your household water and use the grey water that comes out of it in your garden. Downside, investment is likely to be several hunderd $
    3. As for the tank itself. An algae scrubber is one idea. Simply planting the tank very well is another. Fast growing species will have the biggest effect on nitrates. I find amazon frogbit does an amazing job on nitrates. Anything from the hygrophila family. Downside. Frequent pruning required.
    Well, the only lab testing of water I found online cost over $100. That will have to wait until I can afford it. I will check into the state....maybe they have a more affordable testing available.
    Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps while you are waiting to have the lab testing done you could try another type of nitrate test kit or maybe have a LFS test your water for you.

If that proves to give you different results than your test kit, then maybe there is something wrong with the test kit or how you are testing ?

If it were me, I would want to make sure my test kit was actually giving me accurate results before spending a lot of money on a lab test.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnieW View Post
    Well, you saw what I have and I think the largest ones will be the cory cats. I rehomed the angel fish I had and I am looking to have only neons, white clouds and maybe some type of shrimp and small loaches for the snails.
    Excellent - great fish for that size tank. I only wrote what I did because many people go by the inch of fish per gallon but it doesn't always apply.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    If you know the contact information for your water distribution company, just give them a call/e-mail and tell them you're concerned with the water supply. I did this, when I noticed Ammonia of .5ppm in my tap. They actually came out to my house to test, then went to two other locations to test and followed up with results. Of course, they weren't the results I was expecting (they found no "free ammonia" (NH3) and I don't believe they tested for "total ammonia," which includes ionized (NH4+) ammonia), and I still get a result of .5ppm in my own tests. Of course, the API test, tests for "total" ammonia, not just free ammonia, and free ammonia is the toxic ammonia. I figure this is something people should be aware of with these tests, and it's something I didn't know about before.

That being said, it doesn't answer your question about Nitrates. But, if you contact your distribution company, they should look into it free of cost, and you may learn something new about your water.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I have tap water with too much ammonia and a very high pH. I purchased my own RO/DI system - you may only need the RO. You can purchase from the manufacturer, about $315-320 for the RO/DI. I was buying water (for water changes for a 75 gal) and now I make my own. I love it.

Here is the system I bought - http://www.spectrapure.com/St_MaxCap-RODI-MF.htm

I only use mine for my tank and add Seachem Replenish to add back the minerals etc that the fish need. The also make just RO systems, which are less expensive.

Here are their RO systems - http://www.spectrapure.com/St_line_pressureRO.htm

This company came highly recommended. You can contact them (I spoke with Scott) for help with your nitrate problem and they will advise what system you need.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 02-12-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you're only changing 8 gallons of water a week, why not invest in two of those 5 gallon water jugs and buy R/O water from your local water store or aquarium shop? My BF does this weekly for his saltwater tank. Just my two cents.