· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filter Options

Default I hope this doesn't sound like an EHEIM advert LOL :-P

0 Not allowed!
    All filters work on effectively the same principles, It's the quality & durability of the design & [and then availability] of the parts when things eventually go wrong that make the difference. EHEIM [my personal favorite] has decades of proven performance.

I don't see too many reviews of this filter that are over a year past purchase. To say I am not swayed yet is an understatement lol. But there is a rationale behind that opinion.

I have 6 EHEIMS running atm, All bought used and I have had no issues.

Longevity is a good thing in a filter & the fact that they ran for years before I even had them is a testament to how well they work [And keep on working - Silently].

Not saying these are horrific hunks of junk [Too soon to tell IMO] but I do notice that many of the reviewers say things like "cleared my water up in 2 days" or "crystal clear water" which IMO sounds like a newbs assessment if that's their primary criteria used in assessing the job a filter is doing considering some don't even mention their stocking or parameters. [& I didn't read them all obviously...Just saying.]

In short, I do think you could get an effective and proven reliable used EHEIM for similar money but... It is your money.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First, thanks for the feedback. Its nice hearing feedback on a forum that isn't condescending! I think thats some pretty solid advice, especially because that was my first impression of the reviews as well. I guess my follow up question would be, any advice for finding well-priced, used eheim filters? :)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What do you guys think about the Fluval 406? It looks like you could get one for around $145 on ebay.

0 Not allowed!
    YVW

I used to stalk Craigslist pretty religiously and when I saw a deal I pulled the trigger, STAT!

Mind you, Not every locale has great CL prices though, We see members on here that pay through the nose even on ebay and others who absolutely steal stuff [IE: Yours truly :-7]. Depending on how mobile And time limited you are . . Do consider driving a bit for a good deal, I search within a 2 hour drive in all directions for deals because I live about 90 minutes from a major city [Deals happen in the city and the sticks] and because it gives you a feel for what stuff is going for also.

I actually got three of my EHEIMS with tanks that I bought, I honestly only bought my Fluval Edge because it came with two EHIEM filters [+ the AC20 that runs it] and I got it all for less than the tank cost new. I literally bought it for the filters. So watch out for deals like that where you could just resell what you don't want.

Ebay is another option although sometimes the shipping can be costly.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I have a 206 on my 20 long and like it [No issues] but have no direct exp with a 406.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I second all that has been said.

there are just some things that you can get the off brand and it still be as good as the name brand.

like cereal.

but in my experience, the aquatics world just isn't that. Even going from Marineland to my fluval filter, it was just so much better build, parts and quality.
    (same with heaters)

I'm currently using a 306 and marineland hob on my tank. i'm just searching for the next deal to get another 206/306 to replace the marinelands.
    I have nothing but positive reviews about my 306.

and 850R is correct for the craigslist deals.
    where i'm located...it sucks. (albeit amazon "opened goods" is where i got my 306 and it saved me 30bucks :P )
    so hopefully your area is better.