· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Round jelly-like bumps on new Otocinclus

0 Not allowed!
    Greetings to all! This is my first post!

I bought 4 Otocinclus for my 75 gal tank yesterday, and noticed after I got home that one has some sort of disease.

The disease causes round bumps all much of the Oto's body and fins, mostly near the dorsal fins, the nose, and the tail and tailfin. I don't know how to describe the bumps... almost jelly-like, or slimy. You could say the bumps look as if they were like scales that have gotten really swollen. On the fins they look like jelly-like blobs.

I am attaching a picture of the fish to this post. The same pic can be seen here too: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdg9have560np21/otosick.jpg

The fish is now in my 75 gal planted tank. I set up the tank about 2 months ago, planted the tank with lots of plants. It currently has 5 corydoras, 1 ghost shrimp, and the new 4 Otoclinclus.

If anyone could help me ID the disease, and/or any recommendations for treatment, I would be very appreciative!
    Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    The thing that comes to mind off the top of my head is Gas bubble disease. I'd start searching there and see if that's a possibility.

This looks pretty severe... either the fish wasn't showing these symptoms at the fish store, or you didn't check the fish in the bag before you left. I'd like to think you'd have noticed this kind of issue before you walked out the door.

How did you acclimate?

0 Not allowed!
    That looks like massive fungal issues or rot. Quarantine, Very clean water and a tiny bit of salt would be my personal plan of action.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Trillianne, thanks for the response. No, I did not notice this when I was at the petstore (which was really dark). That's a good reminder that I should check more carefully in the future. I acclimated by floating the bag about 20 minutes, then slowly adding water. The other 3 Oto's are doing fine. I'm pretty sure the fish had the disease before I bought him.

The water conditions are pretty stable btw - pH is 7.8 (i know a bit high), ammonium 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20ppm.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does this look like true fungus, or columnaris?

0 Not allowed!
    Looks to me like gas bubble disease. If so, it's not a disease but a condition.

http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases...le_disease.php

0 Not allowed!
    Jeez, I've never seen anything like that. I cannot say I've seen gas bubble disease before but this looks severe. Fungus would be my first guess and would imagine that this is a prime candidate for euthanasia. I'm surprised you purchased a fish that looked like this (always look at what you're getting when they're in the bag - and before you get to the till).

Poor thing.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately the fish died this morning. I believe it was either a fungus or gas bubble disease (which would be logical since the tank has tons of plants in it). I will be more careful to look at the fish before I buy them next time!! Lesson learned!

Thanks again.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Plants canNOT harm fish through 'bubble issues'. Not possible. Fungus is possible and often relates to poor water conditions - esp. excessive food waste. Relative to bubble disease it only can occur with a sudden increase in water temperature. Unless that happened, it is not that condition. That can be totally avoided by only adding fish after you match the water temps between the tank and bag holding the new fish. Or, it happens when adding hot water to a colder aquarium. It has zero to do with outside air in the water (bubbles.)
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-10-2013 at 07:32 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Having read up on this condition, I agree with Cermet - it does seem odd to blame plants, although some sites do mention algal blooms.

http://en.wikivet.net/Gas_Bubble_Disease Seems sudden temperature elevation is indeed the cause. Thanks for this information, Cermet.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~