· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stocking custom 90 fw tank suggestions :)

0 Not allowed!
    So I just got a used custom built tank, not sure of the exact capacity although I think it somewhere along the lines of 80-90g. The tank has weird specs, 45.5"L 36"high 13"W it's all 3/4" glass.

I'm in the early stages, will be re sealing the tank then building a stand and canopy and deciding on filter and other equipment for it. I will be using sand in this tank, and it will be planted for sure. This will be a huge focal piece in my living room, directly across from the couch and sitting behind a long tv bench so it will basically be my TV (I don't own a tv). The couch is already flanked with a room divider 55g semi aggressive community tank.

I'm looking for any ideas for stocking this new tank...I want to make sure I have a good variety of top/mid/low, and lots of activity. I'm open to any and all suggestions if anyone wants to jump in here. I don't want to muck it up and end up with fish who won't co habitat and have to remove them. I do also have a piranha tank, although I'm looking to phase that out.

Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Just to let you know, your tank is 92 gallons or 348 liters. Since you are looking for a good variety of fish, I would suggest tetra of some sort and maybe kuhli loaches or cory for the bottom. You also might like some of the smaller cichlids instead of tetra. Search the articles in the left had menu and see what interests you. Pick a few out and let us know which ones you like and we can help you fine tune the stocking.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    That is a very weird shaped tank. Fish do value horizontal swimming space more than vertical so for a fish to feel comfortable in a tank narrow like that(despite its length) they will have to be small species. The good thing of such a tall tank, however, is that the top, middle and bottom layer of the tank can be much more defined, without fish constantly mixing around. For the top, you could put in a school of hatchetfish(keep the tank well covered). For the middle, most schooling fish will do. I have heard(although not verified) that, if provided with enough cover to feel comfortable anywhere in the tank, minnows and danios will tend to school higher up than tetras, which stay in the low middle part of the tank. As for bottom dwellers, catfish are probably out as most species come to the surface for a periodically for a gulp of air, and crossing 3 ft. Of water is not going to please them very much.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Fish won't have issues crossing 3 ft of water, if they did, they would not live in lakes, rivers, or streams.

Now that I think about it that tank is begging for a couple of angelfish. It's nearly 4ft long so they would have plenty of swimming room, and the height is perfect for them.
    Last edited by mommy1; 02-09-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Default +1 & Mommy I am shocked [SHOCKED I say!] you didn't go there sooner :-P

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Now that I think about it that tank is begging for a couple of angelfish. It's nearly 4ft long so they would have plenty of swimming room, and the height is perfect for them.
    Yes! The word 'Altum' comes to mind

Angels.jpg
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies! Yes the tank is a weird shape which is why I'm struggling with stocking plans....if I don't have any mid level dwellers in there I'll just end up with a lot of empty space.

I certainly like the idea of angels, I've never had any...would you throw in any tank mates for them? The first response, with the mixed community was more where I was leaning towards.....especially danios and hachets! What about zebra barbs?

It's hard to choose....and this always becomes my problem....good thing I have a while to think about it :)

Thanks again for the replies so far :)

0 Not allowed!
    Not that a bottom dwelling fish will have problems propelling itself 3 ft, but whether it will feel comfortable swimming through the open space doing so is a different question. Remember that many fish, especially smaller ones, that we keep in aquaria come from shallow small streams.

Good call with angelfish. I hadn't thought of that myself. Altums are real impressive but also have more requirements than scalare.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on the Altums, if your water permits it that is, I can picture that tank with 6-8 altums and school of corys on the bottom.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would put two or three nice sized schools of tetra. My choices would be buenos aires tetra, diamond tetra, columbian tetra, or lemon tetra. For the bottom I would I still pick my original suggestion of a large group of either kuhli loaches or some sort of cory.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Mommy1

I would also add congo tetras as one option.

I think congos and diamonds would look great together in the same tank with either corys or kuhli loaches
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]