· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClinicaTerraLTD View Post
    I don't have to change out the whole hood if I want to change the lighting, do I? I don't quite know what I am looking for with regard to lighting; I am probably looking for something along the lines of bright LEDs, but I do like that "shimmering" effect some bulbs claim to give...
    Some hoods can be adapted to almost any type of lighting while other can not. Can you post a pic of your hood? That would help with any recommendations
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Since you have always had a bit of ammonia, I would guess it's because you don't have enough filtration to handle the bio-load of the fish in the tank. I don't remember what filter you have on the tank, and I am not going to re-read that epic opening post to find out.
    Okay, first of all, you don't need to re-read the "epic" opening post of mine to find out what kind of filtration I am running -- it's in my signature attached to every post. Secondly, I apologized, wholeheartedly, already several times to several people for the long initial post -- I simply wanted to explain the situation we went through in our last setup with regard to how it completely wrecked our house for those not familiar with what happened. Again -- I apologize for the long post.

As for the filtration issue, I am running two HOBs that seem to be sufficient for filtration even for a goldfish 60 gallon setup -- an Aqueon QuietFlow 55, changing over about 325 gallons per hour, and an AquaClear 110, changing over 500, for a total of over 800 GPH...is that not enough filtration in your opinion?

Instead I will just say, the AC110 with extra bio-max (from your other thread) will help. Keep in mind, this new tank is not cycled yet, and it will still take a bit of time for the ammonia to reach 0ppm, keep up with the water changes.
    I suppose I will do a small water change today just to get some stuff out; as for my 110, do you not think that two sacks of BioMax is enough?

And, I am still waiting for pictures of your tank.
    I have to wait for my wife to get home from work because she has the better camera in her phone; then, I will upload some images.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    + to all previous posts.
    It's probably too late but if you have any filter media from your 10 gallon that didn't get dried out transfer it to your new filters. It's not much but it would help speed the cycle along a bit.
    Yes, I actually still have the 10 gallon up and running incase of a transfer emergency, and the floss cartridge from that tank is still in the Aqueon filter on back of the tank...

But I'm placing my faith, at this point, in the Seachem Stability and the waste from my fish to do their thing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Some hoods can be adapted to almost any type of lighting while other can not. Can you post a pic of your hood? That would help with any recommendations
    I will work on pics of the tank and entire setup; in the meantime, please see my first post in this thread in which I clipped a link to the tank and hood we bought to just get an idea...thanks!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Simmer down, the epic post comment was teasing, and I obviously didn't read your signature.
    I think the two filters together will be sufficient and the added biomax will help.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Simmer down, the epic post comment was teasing, and I obviously didn't read your signature.
    I am fine; I could say the same thing to you -- and in fact that was my inetion of tone, in that I was asking you to "settle down" in terms of calling my post an "epic;" it took a great deal of time to type that and I just wanted to convey my story to those who may not have known about what happened. I didn't know your tone or intent was one of humor. I merely pointed out my signature because that's where my equipment is listed...

I think the two filters together will be sufficient and the added biomax will help.
    Thanks; so, more than the two small sacks I have now? This won't help with water polishing or quality, right, just biological filtration i.e. more room for the BB to grow?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's something else I thought of with regard to my air pumps and bubble bars...

Just now, I did an experiment in which I disconnected my tubing from the pumps and blew with all my might into each tube line...when I did this, each bar EXPLODED into CASCADES of thick, heavy bubbles which is the effect I am looking for -- when I returned the tubes to the pump outlets, the bubbles got weak again. Does this not indicate that the bubble bars are not defective or clogged, and it's the pumps that just aren't pushing enough pressure?

Further, the noise the bubbles are making as they're being sucked into the AquaClear filter's intake is beyond annoying -- if I move the bubble bars IN FRONT OF the filter intake tubes, will this cut down on their tendency to be sucked up by the intakes?

Also -- on the suggestion by someone on another forum -- I tried closing off one outlet, on each of my pumps, and letting just one airline run to each bubble bar...this did not work; it seems that on EACH pump, at least one of the outlets are not working... :(

The suggestion was made because he believed running the pumps the way I am -- that is, "bridging" them with a T-connector so the power from both outlets can be combined into one powerful stream to feed each bubble bar -- may be causing unwanted backpressure into the pump(s)...
    Last edited by ClinicaTerraLTD; 02-10-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClinicaTerraLTD View Post
    I could say the same thing to you -- and in fact that was my inetion of tone, in that I was asking you to "settle down"
    Alright, I have been awake since yesterday and have to go to work again in a few hours, but I stayed up in part to help you with your epic problems. I understand you can't "hear" a joking tone in text, so I explained my post. The intentions of the quoted post above are quite clear. I did not stay up to help you so you could snark off to me. I am done, and furthermore, until there are pictures of your tank posted, I don't believe it exists. Good night.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I have been awake since yesterday and have to go to work again in a few hours, but I stayed up in part to help you with your epic problems. I understand you can't "hear" a joking tone in text, so I explained my post. The intentions of the quoted post above are quite clear. I did not stay up to help you so you could snark off to me. I am done, and furthermore, until there are pictures of your tank posted, I don't believe it exists. Good night.
    Let me get this straight, incase I missed something here...

You answer one of my posts with a quasi-sarcastic alphatone of "I don't know if you have the correct filtration and I'm not going back into your epic post to check..." (not verbatim) and I reply, SIMPLY, with "First of all, you don't have to re-read my 'epic' post because the filtration is listed in my signature" and how OVERTLY and WHOLEHEARTEDLY sorry I was for that long post, further re-stating my filtration equipment for clarity, and I'M STILL IN THE WRONG HERE? You TRULY and HONESTLY DON'T SEE where that response you initially provided could be interpretted as OFFPUTTING and a bit sarcastic after someone took the time to type all that? I explained why I responded the way I did, and that I didn't know your intention contained overtones of humor -- when you explained that it did, I thought the whole thing was dropped. Now you're telling me I am SNARKING OFF to you? I appreciate everything you have written to me here and have assisted me with -- I TRULY DO with my heart and soul -- but I too have been working overtime and extra hours, as has my pregnant wife, and what I posted in this thread, especially the opening, initial post, took a great deal of time and energy, too. My point is that you're not the only one who was struggling in this thread; you don't want to assist any further? That is your choice and right. All I can say is thank you for what you have assisted with thus far, and that this whole thing may have been avoided by simply looking at my signature.

Good evening to you, as well.

0 Not allowed!
    I think it would be safe that we are all trying to help fix/improve the situation

Perhaps we should post about the topic at hand from now on and not about our writing styles

I would hate to have to close this thread
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]