· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Catfish Recommendation ?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 27 gallon Oceanic Hexagon tank.
    Its nearly a month old, cycled, and is currently housing..
    4 Gold Barbs
    2 Red Glass Barbs
    2 Columbian Tetras
    2 Zebra Danios

I need to add a catfish to my tank. I have a cave in my tank, and am going to purchase algae wafers.

My first instinct was a Pleco, but after researching them,
    i feel in my small tank (and since this is my first noteworthy attempt at any aquarium)
    that wouldn't be the best idea.

My next idea was a Bristlenose Catfish, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Any ideas on what my best bet would be?

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :D

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    why do you need to buy a cat fish? How are you sure your tank is cycled?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by T22493 View Post
    I have a 27 gallon Oceanic Hexagon tank.
    Its nearly a month old, cycled, and is currently housing..
    4 Gold Barbs
    2 Red Glass Barbs
    2 Columbian Tetras
    2 Zebra Danios

I need to add a catfish to my tank.
    No you don't. You need to sort out your tank though. You got several shoaling species in low numbers. Also hex tanks tend to have little floorspace and aren't suited to bigger bottom dwellers (or zebra danios for that matter)

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I may be in the dark about a lot of things here....

When i bought my first stock of fish, (two days after the tank was set up)
    I got four gold barbs and two red glass barbs.
    I lost two of the gold ones early, and told the guy at my LFS about them two weeks later.
    He told me to bring in a sample of my tank water, which i did the next day... He told me that my tank was cycled, my levels were stable, the barbs had probably died from the stress of the tank being new, and that i should be fine to add more fish.
    Which, in my excitement, I did, and they're all still fine.

These fish were two replacement gold barbs, the tetras and danios.
    I purchased these impulsively, with no knowledge of shoaling. Ha.

The gold and red barbs seem to mingle. They are active and seem healthy. I think they're satisfied with their numbers.

I do not want to complete the school of tetras. With a minimum of 8, I simply don't think there would be enough room for them. The two I do have seem perfectly fine, albeit a bit territorial.
    I do plan on completing the school of danios very soon.

BUT, (this brings me back to the catfish) I was under the impression that I should get a clean-up crew fish before expanding the ranks above.

Maybe my best bet is another filter and bigger schools?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Also hex tanks tend to have little floorspace and aren't suited to bigger bottom dwellers (or zebra danios for that matter)
    Talldutchie, Are my danios at risk here? I thought they stayed small and manageable. And mine stay near the top of the tank. Is this because they're confused and looking for more danios?

Thanks again, i appreciate the insight.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by T22493 View Post
    Talldutchie, Are my danios at risk here? I thought they stayed small and manageable. And mine stay near the top of the tank. Is this because they're confused and looking for more danios?

Thanks again, i appreciate the insight.
    Danio is a fast swimming shoaling species. You don't offer anything for either fast swimming or shoaling. It's a robust species so it won't keel over and die.

I think you're running on LFS advice and a few hints from here. I would advice you to read up on nitrogen cycle and read species profiles on seriouslyfish.

Quote Originally Posted by daimen123 View Post
    you could also try a small school of cories but like I said your tank needs to be well maintained and stable for them also
    A hex has little floor space typically. You don't know what's on the bottom. The dwarf species of cory aren't suitable for those running on lfs advice.

0 Not allowed!
    daimen, those fish are many years old, they're what's left of a thriving community.

dutchie, thank you. I'll just have to buckle down and do lots and lots more research. Thanks a million for the reference site.
    No more comments necessary

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is good advice here, even if some time people need to lose the attitude. Especially in the beginner's sections. However, in their defense, they don't even realize they are doing it, and they mean no offense.

Your tank is not what is usually considered to be very large. The Hex shape does not help. You don't get much top or bottom. So, you generally want to avoid top and bottom dwelling species. This precludes most catfishes and loaches.

You want mid dwelling species that remain small and are not overly active, as they do not have a huge amount of room to swim. This precludes most rasboras and danios. The "sharks" are all bad choices, as they get too large.

You want to make sure your filter is not creating a cyclone, as the above species rarely like strong current.

Finally, you want to watch the size of the school, or shoal. The above mentioned types usually prefer the company of their own kind. The LFS, wanting to sell you fish, will tell you 3 is the minimum. Here at AC, the accepted answer is about 6, but all will say bigger is better. 10-12 is a really good number to look at.

If your fish grow to 2, 2.5 inches, one shoal will about fill your tank. If they are tetras that stay .75-1.5 inches, you can get two shoals, over time. It's best to start with one.

If you want a centerpiece fish, consider something like one of the Dwarf Gourami species. IE, Solitary, colorful, and slow moving.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I believe fish shouldn't be used as clean up crew that's what you are for. Good tank maintenance will do this. Your schools need to be fixed and Columbian tetra are one of the bigger tetra. I think by making your schools larger while lowering your species. Your tank will be much more fun and realistic.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, daimen. I've been so confused on what to do next.

Could you recommend a good bottom dweller for a beginner with a small tank? (if there is one...)

I'd love to have one once i get my numbers under control.