· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Weird Gourami Behaviour

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Guys! First post and NEED a response. I recently got a 60 gallon tank. One of my first fish was a gourami. After cycling and getting an ok on the parameter of course. Here are some pictures: Since then, my gourami (Chief Tyrol) has always, ALWAYS hugged the front wall of the tank, literally going back and forth allday erday. It is bothering, because this is all he does, besides go to his bubble nest beneath the hood, which is rare. I was told that he has a defect in his pectoral fin, but he can swim fine the rare times he isn't there. Here is the picture: http://historyduhr.imgur.com/all/

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    when did you set up the tank?
    what are the water parameters? "okay on the parameter of course" doesn't really mean anything with out actual numbers of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

also that link says your pictures are private, so can't see them.

what are the other fish in the tank?
    what is your filtration?

0 Not allowed!
    Swimming back and forth against aquarium glass is a very obvious sign that something in the tank is not pleasing the fish. The fish may feel displaced, as gouramis are territorial and this fish has been displaced from its original territory into the new tank. The water quality Might be off in some way, the lights too bright, too little hiding spaces, some other fish may be bothering him secretly...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I think I need to add more hiding places. But he doesn't seem to be bothered by my other fish

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    when did you set up the tank?
    what are the water parameters? "okay on the parameter of course" doesn't really mean anything with out actual numbers of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

also that link says your pictures are private, so can't see them.

what are the other fish in the tank?
    what is your filtration?
    so not having any of these answers...means we can't provide any more thoughts to what is causing your gourami to act that way.

and you cannot watch your fish 24/7, so there is always way more that goes on...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1, Out of direct sunlight next to my bed
    2. According to Petco, my water is in the norms for all of those 3
    3. 4 Buenos Aires Tetras, and a super gold severum next weekend
    4. two penguin 350's
    5. http://imgur.com/FtsF2wb

0 Not allowed!
    severum and gourami may not mix in a 60 gallon, but then it seems like you still don't have the severum yet?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Buenos Aries Tetras also have a reputation for nipping fins so they may not be the greatest mix with a gourami or severum. Have the gourami's fins been nipped at all? If they're not nipping the gourami now then I doubt they ever will, but if they are that probably is the problem. And you didn't specify but is this a gold/blue/opaline gourami? Or is it a type of dwarf gourami? Because the dwarfs and the Buenos Aries probably wouldn't get along but the other types probably would be fine.

The first thing I would do is a water change, regardless of the water testing fine. Do a change right away. There is no potential harm in doing one, and if the water does turn out to be a problem then changing the water would be the correct action.
    Last edited by Zander; 02-10-2013 at 01:06 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so these Buenos are doing the damage, and im going to return them to the store. Can the gourami regrow his pectorals if the nipping stops?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you have healthy water (and by this i strongly suggest the liquid Master Test Kit by API to test your water....if your petco is anything like mine, they test with strips and don't really know anything about fish and water quality)

the gourami should be able to regrow.

however, if you are still planning to get that severum, don't expect them to regrow.
    i have a strong feeling that those two will battle it out.