· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default First Tank: 80 gallons

0 Not allowed!
    Just got my first tank, 80 gallon hand-me-down from my dad. Needs a thorough cleaning which I plan to take care of today, but I wanted to see if I could get some advice on the other stuff! Money is tight, but I've done some research and so far I've come up with:

What I have:
    1. 80 gallon tank + Stand
    2. 2 12" Regent Heaters (I think 300 Watts each)
    3. 48" light (32Watts)
    4. Basking Lamp Fixture - No bulb
    5. Thermometer

What I would ultimately like:
    1. Plants (Java Fern & Amazon Sword)
    2. Turtle (RES)
    3. Fish (Cichlids and Angels)
    *I have heard it can be challenging to keep a turtle, but I really have my heart set on it and am dedicated to making it work if its possible. From what I've read, these species seem to be compatible for the most part, given the correct environment and enough food :D

What I need:
    1. Filter: Starting from scratch with the filters. I wanted to go the extra mile because of the turtle.. How does 2 Tetra Whisper EX70 filters sound? Open to suggestions!

2. Substrate: 2" SeaChem Flourite - Is there a cheaper substitute or is this really the only option adequate for plants? Will this be a problem with the turtle or should I use gravel?

3. Turtle Basking Dock: Planning on getting a floating platform or an attachment for him to crawl onto. As for the lamp, I have a clipable light fixture, what bulbs work best and use little electricity?

4. Light: Have a 48" hood, any recommendations for the bulb? I've read I need UVA and UVB for the turtle, which I'm assuming is good enough fro the plants as well?

5. Heaters: Are the 2-300W Regent heaters (HOB) enough? Should I consider a heater under the substrate too?

I'm sure I'm leaving a few stuff out, but that should be a good enough place to start. Any advice is more than welcomed!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but fish + turtle = eaten fish...
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but fish + turtle = eaten fish...
    Haha I should have anticipated this and explained a little further. I've read that as well; the only reason I hold out hope is because I am from SC and have heard there are mud/musk turtles that can easily be found by the rivers. Apparently, they do not grow more than 3-4 inches and if kept well fed can live with fish? I was planning on putting the plants and fish in first to allow the fish to establish their territory, before adding the turtle around march/april.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Thats a whole new set of issues... turtles can carry a whole host of diseases on top of all of it... you collecting a wild turtle in hopes of this want... I dont see it ending nicely.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Thats a whole new set of issues... turtles can carry a whole host of diseases on top of all of it... you collecting a wild turtle in hopes of this want... I dont see it ending nicely.
    Ok so assuming there is not turtle. Does the rest of the tank seem alright? I want to make sure I have a good plan before I start assembling the pieces. Is there a cheaper route to go for the plant substrate?

0 Not allowed!
    Look into Turface, works as a great substrate. Needs root tabs, but most do. $20 should do your tank... might need a little more depending on your foot print

0 Not allowed!
    There's loads of species of cichlids, in fact the angel itself is one. Popular species in your country include convicts, jack dempseys and other big nasties with an attitude.

Additional factor, it would help if you could give any idea how hard your tap water is, that also affects your options.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I'm not sure how hard my tap water is. I know my LFS checks the water for free so I will bring them a cup of tap water soon and have them check it out. Regardlessly, thats fairly easy to correct right?

What about filters? Do you guys think the 2x Tetra EX70 will work? Or is there an easier/more economical route to take? Essentially I'm a junior in college so I don't have a lot of money, and my dad gave me the tank already so I don't want to ask him, but yet I still want to treat the fishies right :)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For filtration you should plan to have filters rated for double your aquarium volumn. Since you have an 80 gallon tank you should have have a combination of filters rated for at least 160 gallon. A large canister filter made by eheim or rena would be great (I have yet to try the jumbo fluval fx5 but plan too and had problems with my fluval 405).

Online will give you much better prices on equipment than in the stores.

Two 300 w heaters should be more than plenty.

For substrate you could get pool filter sand from a hardware store and add fertilizer root tabs. The sand is really cheap (I got 100lbs for $9 and it is pretty clean sand.)