· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Problem with angelfish pH levels

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I have a 180litre tank ( approx ) with 8 marble anglefish, after water changes the water pH get aroud 8.2-8.4... this is a bit high for angles right ? ... I have tried using peat balls ( From normal compost ) and i have seen it lowering to aroud 7.8 - 8.0 but It must be around 6.0-7.5. Any tips on how to lower this without harming the fish ?

Thanks for you help in advance,
    Luke

0 Not allowed!
    Wow - that's a lot of angelfish in a 48gal tank

considering what I know about pH, I believe the answer is you shouldn't be messing with the pH - a stable pH is what fish need - if you keep trying to alter the # it could stress them out & bring on illness.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't try altering the pH, you'll end up killing them quickly with the pH fluctuations. If your tap water is around 8.2-8.4 it would be difficult to alter it anyways significantly, unless your angels are wild caught, which I doubt, they'll be fine, they probably won't breed but you should definitely stabilize your water.

Let me add, you should test your KH & GH levels also, the hardness of your water matters especially as the pH is not ideal for angelfish, they will survive but may not live as long etc.

You may want to consider switching to a cichlid tank as your water is ideal for that and I agree with the post above in saying your tank is too small for that many angelfish.
    Last edited by mojosodope; 02-08-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added suggestions

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    second/third the above post's.

as long as you drip aclimated them, you'll be fine.

but now they are in the tank, you won't be fine. the pH may or may not kill/harm them. but the angels themselves will shred one another to pieces.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank for the tips, I am conisdering a reverse osmosis system, the only problem is that KH & GH are not accurate at all times the pH can rise immeadiatly.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeeVassallo View Post
    Thank for the tips, I am conisdering a reverse osmosis system, the only problem is that KH & GH are not accurate at all times the pH can rise immeadiatly.
    And that doesn't make much sense.

An RO system can be useful. With tap water like yours you can mix it with RO water and gently bring it down a bit. Most South-American species like soft acidic water. If they've been farmed they will adapt easily to water with the higher ph of most tap water but they will still enjoy soft water at least.
    Bringing this down a bit can be done by filtering over peat (get some peat pellets for an aquarium, far less messy) which will lower the ph gently and introduce some tannins which these fish like. But also mixing in some rainwater is an option for some. RO water is possible but the equipment isn't cheap and you also get a lot of waste water. Some of the better fish stores sell the stuff.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    mizzoutank is correct (+1 but I'm not allowed now to give you rep points!) - that many angels in such a tiny tank - yes, under 50 gal is VERY tiny for that many angels - is not gonna work. If you got them from a lfs, take at least six back. R/O is costly - exchange filters are not cheap and need to be replace year in and year out and for what reason? All tank breed fish can handle hard and/or high pH (even discus!) Get other fish to replace the six or seven angels. If you can't send them back, consider a much larger tank (say 100 - 120 gal) and use a lot of wood and plants(real or fake) for them to hide.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    All tank breed fish can handle hard and/or high pH (even discus!).
    Most can but quite a few will do loads better in softer water. Also greatly improves the chance of breeding. That's why people use RO water.

But you're right on the number of angels. A pair would work, 8 is not feasible long term.