· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation need advice on housing these plecos

0 Not allowed!
    hi everyone. My buddy came over today with a baby pleco about 2 inches long ( I'm pretty sure it's a common) dark in color with darker spots & a high fine about 7 inches in length and begged me tohouse them while he takes an unknown amount of time resealing his broken tank or buying a new one. I couldnt say no to him so into the 110 gallon they eventually went with my 13ish inch common pleco and the other fish I house in there ( oscar, black convict, ect.. all under 4 inches long) now my main questions are can I house 3 pleco together? they all seem to be getting along so far and my tank is a filtration machine i'm turning the water over about 10 to 11 times an hour on a conservative estament ( 3 HOB & 3 canister 2 fluval & one api rena filstar seems too satisfy my filtration needs) but if thats not the issue and it comes down to the number of pleco in one tank I have an empty 55 I could maybe and thats a big maybe scrape enough money together to start cycling to house the high fin and baby if absolutly necessary but would like to advoid if at all possible. any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. If I still have these guys in 6 months when I move I'm trying to save money to get a tank somewhere between 220 gallons and the 300 gallon range if that info helps in any advice you have to give. thx again in advance for any and all help

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    any advice on general water conitions, temps, different foods anything at all would be awesome as well

0 Not allowed!
    I've said it before, I think others have too. You're setting yourself up for problems down the line. Oscars and convicts (plural it seems) in a 110g is a volatile mix at least. The common pleco (there's actually 3 or 4 species sold as this, all seem to be from this family http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...hp?genus_id=17) quite easily reaches adult lengths of 10-12 inches but there's species that grow even bigger. It's a fish that should be sold from tanks with a warning label but unfortunately is not.
    If you insist then break up sight lines with some wood and big pebbles. You might wanna introduce shelter in the form of flower pots or appropriate sized pieces of PVC tube.

Like most south american species they do fine in soft water with a ph between 6.5 and 7.5. They do need well aerated and very clean water (no ammonia, no nitrite, nitrate below 20ppm). Temperature wise they have a broad range, between 21 and 26 degrees C is fine.

Diet should consist of a good sinking algae wafer (hikari makes a fine one) supplemented with blanched vegetable and some protein especially when they grow older. Frozen seafood like mussles and shrimp would work.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From the sounds of things I need to either find the deal of the century on a 220+ gallon or try to pull to money together for one of the 150 gallons ive seen on craigslist for 300 obo with filters ect.... but if i found a steal on a 220 gallon theres no way thats not big enough for those fish but either way they are going to have to live together for the time being untill i at least get the old 55 gallon back up and running to thin out the population in the 110 some but shouldnt I save that money for another 100+ gallon tank or go ahead and try to set up the 55 gallon again?

0 Not allowed!
    Another option is to get rid of some fish. Imo you shouldn't keep anything that you cannot provide for during their entire life span.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    within 6 months i'm getting a 240gallon wide tank as soon as I move. That should be more then enough room for them dont you think? the demensions are roughly 52" wide x 96" long x 51" tall ( those are just rough numbers, I know i'm probally off)

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    96 x 52 x 51 would be 1102 gallons. Which would be great for all those big fish you have, but I think you are wrong on the dimensions. I agree with Talldutchie, you need to invest in a bigger tank now, or get rid of some until you can house them properly.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it matters the water is crystal clear and tests perfect everytime. If I can make it 6 months tops they will have a new 240gallon wide home. Most of the fish I own have already been living together for the past 6 months together