· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh_water110gallon View Post
    it's just too bad you couldn't have a huge community of them or I would've done that in my 110 gallon tank
    Technically you could... But they'd have to be all female. A sorority tank. In a big tank, 30 gallons+. And lots of girls

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    I would figure out what is causing the algae and correct it rather than buying fish to do the job. Are you keeping the nitrates low with large water changes weekly? Are you over feeding which could be causing high phosphates? How many hours a day are your lights on?

I would not use an algae remover. Many fish are killed due to that stuff.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-08-2013 at 11:14 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hey everyone thx for all the suggestions and adviceso far. Iwent out and got a fewmore plants and2 snails yesterday. So far squba steve doesntmind them at all, he checked them out a couple of times and then just keeped swimming around. I think ur right ladyhobbs I do need to change water more often in his tank, I run the light about 10 to 12 hours a day.Also I'm not going tous an alge remover chem I dont want to chance killing steve

0 Not allowed!
    Hello there!

First, good move not using algae chemicals. Most of them are extremely toxic, and a bad choice for what can be solved naturally.

The snails may remove "some" algae, but from experience, they likely won't solve the issue. In fact, the food for the snails, and their waste, can actually add to the problem, not fix it. That being said, snails are wonderful creatures and you will enjoy them very much. If they are apple snails or "Mystery" snails, keep an eye out for mating, and check the top hood on the inside often for clutches of eggs. You will want to remove these or you will quickly become overrun with more snails than you can handle!

I currently have a ten gallon, with one Female Betta, and nine Neon tetras. Though they get along very very well, with a male Betta the story could be different. However, I have heard of other fish getting on well with Betta, but the problem is the 10 gallon tank size. Other fish require too large of a school to handle in so small a space. Also, adding even a small school of fish, such as I have with the Neon Tetra, requires me to watch the water quality closely to make sure everything stays in check due to the bio load. I also have multiple filtration, not just the one filter.

Though I have no very large tanks, I have tanks in multiple sizes, and I find the ten gallon has the most likelihood to have algae. I have gone through the brown diatom algae, and now the floaty threadlike algae that is a constant battle. I also of course, get the algae on the glass of the tank, but all are easily removed. In my personal experience I find the algae in this small tank is caused by lighting and dissolved organics in the water. Doing two water changes a week instead of one has eradicated the problem. Make sure to gravel vacuum and not over feed.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 1/2 dozen neons with my betta and they do fine. but my betta is a very mellow fellow. you could try it but be prepared to move them out of there if he starts harassing them.

If you do add more fish, you should get another small hob filter or up grade to something rated for a 20 gal since most recommend double filtration per the size of the tank.

as for the algae - if it's on the glass, simply wipe the inside of the glass down with a paper towel when you do your weekly water change. it's a good idea to do this anyway.
    Scuba Steve sounds like a lucky fish :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if you add a moss to the tank as a plant then you can add some RCS's they are cool shrimp and they eat algae.

sounds to me the light you are using is on too long during the day, any idea what spectrum it is?

on a side note, the bigger the tank and the denser the planting the more likely you are to have success with a betta in community setting. keeping fish that might stay to the bottom will also increase your odds. some fish to say away from would be other bettas, gouramis (relitives to the betta and just as tempermental), all cichlids (some one correct me if im wrong but i think even the bolivan rams would fight with the betta) fancy tailed guppies (bettas hate other fish that have more brilliant colors then themselves) and any fast rapid swimmers (ie rainbow fish, and zerbra dianos) the faster fish will stress the betta out and cause him to either die or go insane. follow those lines and you might be able to get away with some extra fish in the tank.

if you plan of upgrading your filter grab an AC 20 for cheep or even a 30 would be fine. they are the best HOB filts IMO. or a small canister filter.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you go to try the frog route i have advice from my experience:

1. Train the frog(s) to eat from a dish or drop the food right in front of them. They are horrible at finding the food on their own before the betta gets it.
    2. When/if the betta does get the frog's food, the frog(s) sometimes nips at it when the betta is there and they will swallow the betta's fins. Depending on the individual betta and which fin it could destroy the fin pretty bad, but it grows back after a week or so.

Otherwise, a betta tank for me is incomplete without at least one of my little froggies with it. :D I have 5 with Reaper.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I have a 1/2 dozen neons with my betta and they do fine. but my betta is a very mellow fellow. you could try it but be prepared to move them out of there if he starts harassing them.)
    In a 5.5g? Really?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    In a 5.5g? Really?
    Knew I'd catch flack for that. :0) They've been in there for 7 months now. Had not been my original plan but I needed a temporary fix. When everything went so well, I just left them. water perims are always perfect and there is absolute harmony in the tank. no aggression. Neons are all over the tank, feed well and if there's any stress, you sure can't see it. Of course, my beta is very laid back so that's the only reason it works.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have my male betta in a 20g with 5 cherry barbs, 4 cherry shrimp, and 3 green cories. Perfect harmony with everybody, but there is a lot of plants and lots of hiding places. IME, as long as the fish you put with the betta are not fin nippers and can swim faster than the betta, then everything should be fine.