· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R View Post

No one has mentioned it because it is ok to use as a sketchpad - but NOT a final draft.
    My point was that it's at least one step above the inch of fish per gallon rule. There are many things it doesn't take into account but at least it will tell you when a fish is too large for a tank or if you have enough filtration. It's not a good source for fish compatibility though.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R View Post
    No one has mentioned it because it is ok to use as a sketchpad - but NOT a final draft.
    +1 to the above

It's a great place to start your research, but it will not replace your research.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 million to all those who mention the catch to aquavisor.

While you can see what you can stock in the tank, take that list with you to your local fish store.

There you can check the compatibility charts and talk with them to see if they would suggest an alternate fish if they advise you something on your list will bully something else on your list. Make sure you double check the letters on the charts themselves if you want to double check their information.

And if you still find things aren't satisfactory or feel something would be too much of a list come back here and ask the experts on this forum. They'll steer you in the right direction in suggesting alternate fish for what you are trying to achieve with your stocking.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander View Post
    but at least it will tell you when a fish is too large for a tank or if you have enough filtration.
    So will common sense and reading a few articles. I've never been impressed with aquadvisor because as others have mentioned there are just too many variables to consider. I guess there are worse resources out there, yahoo comes to mind, but there are also many that are much more reliable.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    So will common sense and reading a few articles.
    You would really think so but in my experience a lot of beginners lack what I would consider to be common sense. There are a large number of people who think there is nothing more to fish than putting them in water.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree Zander.

It is a good reference to get new people (and experienced people) to go play with their stocking levels. it'll open their eyes a bit.

I do it all the time. if i return my tetra's what could I replace...then i go look up more in depth of that replacement, and post here for the last bit of information.

but it is key to remind them that it isn't a set in stone thing. that calculator says you can only have like 5 swordtails in a 40breeder, so it can't tell me that I have 2 with my tetra's and am overstocked. lol.

Your post was in the right direction, but it's just a good reminder to add that caveat about the accuracy and the true intention of the website.

0 Not allowed!
    You would really think so but in my experience a lot of beginners lack what I would consider to be common sense. There are a large number of people who think there is nothing more to fish than putting them in water.
    Very true. And there's tons of those around here as well. I've found that enjoying this forum and not getting banned depends on ignoring the threads that make my blood boil.

I say start slowly, read species profiles and have patience!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    You would really think so but in my experience a lot of beginners lack what I would consider to be common sense.
    Very true, and I will add, some experienced and very experienced lack common sense as well. I prefer to teach people to think and learn rather than send them to a site that does the thinking for them, especially one that most who posted in this thread agree is flawed. As I said previously, it's not the worst out there, but I think books, articles, and places like this are far better and potentially more accurate. Why would you send people to a site that you have to warn them about the accuracy of its information?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have recently browsed all around and now I know. In my 8g fluval, I'm probably just going to have my 5 ember tetras and my shrimp. May keep the 2 guppies, ill see how it looks with them in it. Thanks for replying and giving advice also.