· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default "Freshwater" moray eel in marine tank?

0 Not allowed!
    This might make me sound totally retarded, but I have a couple of these guys tumblr_lg2utnaPBi1qd37pco1_500.jpg and I know they are advertised as "fresh water moray eels". I know they do not live well in fresh water, and do a lot better in brackish, but could they also be acclimated to marine? I thought I saw somewhere that they typically lived in marine environments coming into brackish and freshwater only to breed. Anyone have any input?

I ask this because I am setting up a FOWL then a reef tank shortly after.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found out that the G.Tile CAN live in a marine tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes they can live in Marine tanks if acclimitized slowely. The older they are the salter water they prefer.

The most important factor with this species is to eliminate stress by providing plenty of hiding spaces.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I had one of those long time ago. They are born in freshwater and slowly work their way to brackish/marine. However, breeding time they go back to freshwater, hence why they call them freshwater eels. I had mine for many years and over that time it lived in freshwater, brackish and then marine. Lived a long time including jumping out of the tank and slithering under my couch. It was out of the water for least 8+ hours and it still survived.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    would you happen to have any tips on acclimating gymnothroax tile from freshwater to brackish? i bought him advertised as freshwater and quickly found out they need brackish water but im not sure how slowly to add the salt i plan on going to 1.010 at first and slowly going up from there. would raising the salinity from none to 1.002-1.005all at once kill him?????

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did the same thing 10 years ago. Bought the freshwater eel and found out it was brackish. At that time he was in a 30g long tank. I mixed up a few gallons of water and as water evaporated from the tank I added salt water back. Eventually I got everything where I wanted it.

How big is your tank? If it is not big take your time on adding the salt. raising it .05 wont be bad if you let everything settle and acclimate to it then add more. Heck, my freshwater eel got out of the tank and went under the couch for a long time... I found him, tossed him back into the tank and it still lived. They are pretty resilient creatures.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    he is in a 55g by him self for now. would you have any recommendation on a long term salinity range for him i have read that 1.018 was ideal but that sounds a little high... or does it not really matter as long as he is acclimated properly??

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    try a 50/50 mix of SW and fresh... it would be 1.012 salinity. If the article you read was legit you may want to try 1.018. I did a quick google and did not find a perfect answer. Acclimate the eel slowly and you should be good. I did not know they can live 30+ years! I thought sharks live long but wow these live longer!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks so much for the info!! very helpful. and yep they live a very long time and get up to 28 inches some people say they can even live 35 to 40 lol he will hopefully be a lifelong friend in bout 6 months he will move to a 180g and get some friends. only down side is they heavily prefer live food and because of the brackish situation they dont have very many tank mates available. but once an adult they can move to full salt :)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sublime9 View Post
    thanks so much for the info!! very helpful. and yep they live a very long time and get up to 28 inches some people say they can even live 35 to 40 lol he will hopefully be a lifelong friend in bout 6 months he will move to a 180g and get some friends. only down side is they heavily prefer live food and because of the brackish situation they dont have very many tank mates available. but once an adult they can move to full salt :)
    Eels are pretty cool animals. I don't like snakes but eels are awesome. Hope to see more pics of the setup and eel as time goes on. Good luck!