· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Multifasciatus are a fun species tank to keep and an excellent introduction to Tanganyikans.

Try to gather a few bits of slate-work for some escape-hole-caves and lots and lots of escargot shells. You need a minimum of one shell per fish (I'd recommend at least two or three per fish, personally). When scaping the tank - don't be too precious about the sand as they will move a lot of it around in their quest to build their kingdom...aka partially bury their prized shell - you just need to concentrate on creating a set-up with lots of broken lines of sight. This is important for stress limiting and will keep bullying to a minimum. Also - either overstock or not at all. Anywhere in-between will just create upsetting bullying...fairly typical of both Tang and Malawi cichlids! You could probably keep six in a 20gal long.

Look up jeffs99dime on this forum. He has a very nice little species tank which may be just what you're looking to create.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!! Digging into Jeff's shellie journal right now...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Slowly gathering supplies for the change. I think the shells will be the hardest part.

Just to be clear... when you say "overstock or not at all" you mean I need to add all the fish I plan to stock at the same time, right?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy View Post
    Slowly gathering supplies for the change. I think the shells will be the hardest part.?
    Nah... Click here.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Yvw ..............
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy View Post
    Slowly gathering supplies for the change. I think the shells will be the hardest part.

Just to be clear... when you say "overstock or not at all" you mean I need to add all the fish I plan to stock at the same time, right?
    I'd say so to keep aggression down its best to stock all the fish at once. That way it allows them to form a pecking order and have it stay the same out side of fry (which is fairly common with multies from what I've read).
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That will be the most expensive livestock purchase I have ever made!! LOL! LFS gets $12.99 USD each. I know I could probably get them considerably cheaper online, but I like to see them in person before I buy, and I like to support local shops if possible... I can also trade in my current stock towards the new guys at the LFS...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Going to start the tank transformation tonight! Current stock will be going back to LFS, plants will be added to the shrimp tank, and then the big changes happen!

I will be attempting to keep the cycle going with ammonia while I wait for the tank to stabilize. What level shoild I dose ammonia to?

Thanks!!

0 Not allowed!
    For a 20G I'd dose the tank to 2 or 3ppm (and then half that when you get a nitrite spike).

Have you got shells yet? If you have trouble finding them look on eBay for "escargot shells" - they are cheap and readily available.

Yes - stock them all at once. This will be fine following a proper fishless cycle as you'll have a high bacterial load - perfect.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this tank!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast