· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I like the two on the right. The one on the left needs to move left a bit more in my opinion. I think once you have all the shells in it'll look more complete.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I will move the rock a little to the left and see how it looks.

Cycle question: I don't add any ammonia until the ammonia reads 0, right? I am unclear because the sticky seems to say that you don't but also says to add 1/2 dose when nitrites show up. I have not added any ammonia since the first dose.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, only re-dose ammonia when you have a zero reading. You should try to take the readings at the same time each day and only dose once per day (and only if you need to).

Yes, when nitrites start to rise you should be cutting your ammonia doses to half that of before. So if you were dosing to 4ppm initially, cut it back to 2ppm during the nitrite phase. I forgot to do this on my last fishless cycle and the nitrites peaked off the charts and stayed high for two weeks. It wasn't until I realised that I'd been overdosing ammonia and not halfing the dose that the cycle progressed. When I dropped it, the nitrites dropped and nitrates then peaked.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

Just ordered the shells... should be here by the end of the week!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Moved the rock on the left... I like it! Now I need shells. And fish. (But not until it's cycled of course...)
    101_1926_zps72e8e1eb.jpg

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick cycle update: ammo dropped to 0 today!! Nitrates are high so I dosed ammonia to 2ppm. I am assuming I just keep dosing to 2ppm everytime the ammo drops to 0 until I am ready to stock the tank, correct? How about water changes after it's cycled if I don't stock right away?

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you're on track. I'd probably do a few water changes (and keep dosing) if it's a week or two before stocking. Not sure if you have to though.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I appreciate your help!

I dosed ammo to 2ppm last evening and tested this morning and have 0ppm! Nitrites are still high, but I am showing between 5-10ppm nitrates, so I am hoping to see nitrites start dropping soon...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy View Post
    Quick cycle update: ammo dropped to 0 today!! Nitrates are high so I dosed ammonia to 2ppm. I am assuming I just keep dosing to 2ppm everytime the ammo drops to 0 until I am ready to stock the tank, correct? How about water changes after it's cycled if I don't stock right away?
    Water changes only start after adding fish - once a week - and also if you get a reading for ammonia which can happen after adding new fish. Because you are cycling first, you will be able to add more fish to start off with because the bacteria are already there to handle the fish's ammonia - any more fish after that it's recommended to check ammonia to make sure that more bacteria have grown to handle the additional fish waste.

You are doing great!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

To clarify... nitrate levels don't matter until I stock the tank? I am thinking that the nitrate levels may get CRAZY high if I can't stock right away and have to keep feeding the BB. Should I worry about that?

I know that I need to do a big enough water change (or multiple changes) just before stocking to get the nitrates as low as possible.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast