· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Free Basket Case

0 Not allowed!
    101_1957_zpsacc3d4ba.jpg
    One of my coworkers was getting rid of a tank so of course I said I would take it. This is what he brought me. Slight mineral deposits...

Comes out to approximately 35 gallons.

The tank should clean up ok (I've already started on it), will need to be resealed, stand might need a coat of polyurethane, light is beyond saving.

101_1960_zps99fc4d1c.jpg

101_1964_zps8644b1c8.jpg

101_1962_zps473d1bc8.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I can get it cleaned up this will be my fiance's tank. I told her she can do whatever she wants for decoration, and whatever she wants for stock that will fit and co-exist. I will also help with routine maintanence. This could be fun...

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

1 Not allowed!
    This sounds fun! Hope to see the growth of the tank. Normally when I bring a dirty tank home my wife smacks me...
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    What I would do is pour some water and vinegar onto a few rags and let it sit on the top trim, that will soften up all that buildup. A sponge with some green mesh will work well to get most of the crud off. If there is anything that can't be removed take a new razor blade and use that. A nice sharp blade without any nicks on it works real well for cleaning the glass as well. Just hold the blade on a shallow angle so you don't jab the glass and scratch it. Hard to tell the condition of the silicone there so much crud covering it. Maybe fill the tank outside and let it sit for a while, then try to scrub it clean.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I was able to get some of it off with just water, so I'm fairly certain a little vinegar will get the rest... Some of the silicone is peeling so a reseal is definitely needed. It's not hard to do and I would feel much better about it.

Any suggestions for stock would be appreciated. We definitely have time to research and find out what she likes... I have liquid rock water, and this is a tall tank- 36" wide, 20" tall, 12" front-to-back.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If she likes shell dwellers it would be a good tank for those. Maybe not multies but a species that likes caves and such so you could do a cliff like structure.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    If you reseal take the time to do it properly, get all that old silicone off and use alcohol to clean the glass so the new silicone adheres well. New silicone will not stick to old silicone that well.

Maybe look at african cichlids, they would do well in your water. Too many different types of fish out there, the best bet is probably to have your fiance pick out the fish. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...us_gallery.php would be a good site to check out, to see pics and profiles, see what appeals to you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips. I have resealed tanks before (most recent was the 20 long in my sig), cleanliness is key!!

I will have to browse fish profiles with her, but if someone had suggestions that I could show her that would be cool too. Sooo many fish out there...

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would start by showing her Bricardi they are an small African ciclid that likes caves and rocky faces that what would be perfect for a taller tank. Plus it sounds like you have the perfect water supply for them as they like very hard water.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I already have Brichardi in my 20 long but that was a good suggestion... I have a feeling she would like more color anyway... not sure if the more colorful africans would work in 35 gallons...