· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default can isolation kill a fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Just a quick question, one of my new fish I bought a few days ago is in my breeders net which is 12x15 cm
    he seems extremely bored (obviosly) in his cage staying in one position for quite a while but is showing movement
    the angelfish eats perfect and his behavior seems okay apart from depression and boredem..can this end up in the fish dieing?

Might seem a stupid question but thank you.. by the way I am keeping him in there so he can get used to the environment and the fish and vise versa and to be frank he needs feeding up well.
    100 gallon dirt planted tank
    120 gallon - in progress

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It either has a disease or is just a diffirent kind of angelfish. If it has swimming space, it should swim a little bit. From what I know, you may just be a little to worried, because I have 3 angelfish in my 200g pond and they don't move much, and I think they are still alive. (Havn't checked very recently, theres alot of tropical fish)

Well, good luck anyways.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In a broader view, an isolation of some fish can cause stressed behaviour resulting in a faster ending... I know for sure that one of such fish is glass catfish Kryptopterus, and there should be more of species which cannot stand long living without a group.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm curious as to why you don't have a quarantine tank for new fish? If a new fish brings in an illness, keeping it in a breeder net in your main tank can still infect your whole tank - plus a QT gives a new fish space to move around.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for all the replies..

@loller
    The angel fish does not have a disease and it does swim, well always swims as it never "sits down" I think I did mention it still swims around it just seems a little "depressed" as its got so much little space but i know depression in fish can lead to being prone to disease resulting in death. I am thinking of getting a bigger bredding net.

The fish is in great health as it was in the fish shop, i woudnt buy a fish which looked in anyway ill or defected.

I dont have a QT as when i got my 100 gallon last year it was near enough full after my serverum was added so it wasnt like i needed a QT as i wasnt going to add any more fish but i agree no tank should be without a QT but before i do buy a fish it will have to pass a checklist, but the angel fish was in perfect health in the shop.

On a different matter does anyone know any products which would remove any type of infestations or diseases lurking around in the tank, as i know alot of diseases etc cannot attach them selves onto healthy fish so there is always a possibity something could be in the tank still even if there arent any signs.

Thank you again.
    120 gallon - in progress

0 Not allowed!
    To answer your first question: schooling/shoaling fish can become stressed when removed from their school/shoal. If already sick, the stress can kill them within hours to a day. I've seen this happen, whereas if I left a sick fish in the tank with their brethren, it would last for at least another week or two.

There could be any number of things in your tank that your fish have built an immunity to. You won't know, of course, until one of your fish becomes ill. I wouldn't dose with any medication unless you're absolutely sure you have something in your tank.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher_Zeb View Post
    On a different matter does anyone know any products which would remove any type of infestations or diseases lurking around in the tank, as i know a lot of diseases etc cannot attach them selves onto healthy fish so there is always a possibility something could be in the tank still even if there arent any signs.

Thank you again.

This all depends on what you are wanting to treat.
    There isn't a cure all type of medication to add. but if you have healthy fish and there are no signs/symptoms of issues, then you don't need to treat your tank. Just like humans don't take penicillin for fun.

You are correct that there is always a possibility, but that is why having regular water changes, proper filtration and proper stocking will solve all those issues, having that random disease is always the case and sometimes good for the fish to build up antibodies towards such a thing.

it is just the stress caused by:
    poor water quality, poor filtration, poor stocking that will invoke the disease/issue.

just like with humans, your body develops ways to resist things, until you are stressed to trigger the sickness.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher_Zeb View Post
    but i know depression in fish can lead to being prone to disease resulting in death No, Stress is what you refer to here.

The fish is in great health as it was in the fish shop, i woudnt buy a fish which looked in anyway ill or defected.

...before i do buy a fish it will have to pass a checklist, but the angel fish was in perfect health in the shop.
    'Perfect health', How exactly do you determine that? [IE: How do you discern that they carry no internal parasites or bacterial infections?] A QT tank is your best defense against these getting into your tank.

On a different matter does anyone know any products which would remove any type of infestations or diseases lurking around in the tank, as i know alot of diseases etc cannot attach them selves onto healthy fish so there is always a possibity something could be in the tank still even if there arent any signs.
    Some people use Pazipro on a yearly basis but there are many potential issues this does not address. There is no such thing as a 'catch all med'.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard of Pazipro but haven't researched it extensively i will have to look into it but any information anyone can give using this would be great.

I also class depression as stress sorry, also i know i cant determine "perfect health" but i hopefully can class a standard health status with my common sense and research, i think my tank is in good health overall it must be as my rainbows are breeding over and over . except my filtration doesn't seem to pick everything up i get alot of debris on the floor.
    120 gallon - in progress

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i use prazipro about 2x a year.
    it just deworms and can be used as safety net. all my new fish that go to QT get this, and then the main tank is treated 2x a year.
    it is concentrated, so follow the dosing closely.

and filtration should be at least 2x rated for the size of your tank. personally if i had a 100gallon tank, my filtration would be rated for 250gallons with a 800gal/hr turnover rate at the minimum.

the debris on the floor is caused by excessive feeding and is up to you to clean up. hence the gravel vac and pwc.