· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Would love some advice :)

0 Not allowed!
    My 60 gallon "cube" is nearing the end of the cycling process and I'd like some advice as far as stocking it. Currently it has six tiger barbs and a small pictus (which I always seem to forget about). I was unware that you could cycle a tank without fish and my boyfriend ran out and bought the pictus and the barbs with the best of intentions. Anyway, the fish all seem to be doing alright, the barbs are about 2.5 inches and the pictus has grown considerably and is about 3.5 inches. I'm starting to plan out a stock list for the tank to work around what is already in it, however, I've grown a bit nervous about introducing other species with the tiger barbs, as I've read a lot of forum posts concerning their nasty attitudes. I plan on getting at least four more tigers, to bump them to ten, but I would like to add another schooling fish if possible. My boyfriend really likes neon dwarf rainbows. Was also curious if the tank is appropriate for african butterfly fish. I've read a lot about them and they seem as if they'd be alright, but I'm wondering if the barbs would nip the fins or if the tank isn't long enough (it's 24x24x24)? Any suggestions for some interesting and compatible tank mates would be much appreciated.
    Water parameters (I use the API liquid tests):
    pH: 7.0
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 1.0 (Still waiting for this to drop completely, I am doing frequent water changes)
    Nitrates: 10
    Temp: 79-80F, the temp will fluctuate thanks to a very old heater and a very old apartment. Not sure what else I can do to keep it consistant without my dogs freezing to death.

Edit:
    Actually maybe the fish aren't fine, I have one really fat female barb. The scales and behavior are normal, so not sure if it's eggs or something? Hope it's nothing bad because I've grown quite fond of the barbs, even though they're jerks.
    Last edited by skittlebrau; 02-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been keeping tiger barbs for about 7 months now and they can be very nippy. So far they have left my neon tetras alone, and they seem to leave other torpedo shaped fish alone, Gold Barb, Denison Barb, Odessa Barb, Cherry Barb, and Rosy Barbs.

I have never mixed them, but any of the longer finned fishes would be in danger, Angelfish, Long Finned Rosy Barbs, Guppies, Long Finned Danios. I am thinking that Black Skirt Tetras would also be very risky.

I have had experience....poor experience with Tiger Barbs killing shrimp, and some Corydoras.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    If she's female and she's fat and she's in with males, she's probably carrying eggs. I wouldn't consider that as being anything wrong with her -- just natural. Any plans for the fry?

As for the rest of your question, I don't know enough about the fish you're considering to advise you.

Hopefully, someone who does know can step in ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept tiger barbs before, and it seems that 7 is a good minimum number. They seem to just pick on each other more so than the other fish that I kept with them (betas, plecos, tetras, etc.). You can throw a clown loach in the mix too, they seem to have have an identity issue because they'll school with the tiger barbs lol, although the clown loach will get pretty big after a few years.
    "It's not the strongest, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the ones that are most adaptable."
    - Charles Darwin

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I honestly wouldn't mind just filling the tank with different colors of tiger barb, but my boyfriend really wants variety so we're hoping to find something that can go in with the barbs. As for the fat barb, I hope it is just eggs, but I don't really know what I'd do with fry, as I have very limited space and can't fit another tank of any size really into this apartment! I believe the person we get our fish from would be helpful in this situation though. As for the clown loaches, I was under the impression they liked to be in groups and got fairly large?
    Last edited by skittlebrau; 02-06-2013 at 09:04 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skittlebrau View Post
    I hope it's that, not really sure what I'd do with fry. I like the look of clown loaches, but I thought they got rather large?
    The clown loaches do get big (up to ~10 in. give or take), but it takes them a while to grow. I ended up selling most of my stuff because I moved, but I had one in my 55 gal. for about 2 years, and he only got up to about 4 in. It's interesting to see them interact with the tiger barbs, though the loach assumed the dominate role (which may have helped keep the barbs in check).
    "It's not the strongest, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the ones that are most adaptable."
    - Charles Darwin

0 Not allowed!
    Cichlids which are too big and tough to be bullied by the Barbs are a great choice... Not sure on the footprint of your tank but depending on that a single Severum might work? Plus they make great wet pets as they are very responsive to their owners.

Pictus cats are a schooling fish and need a large footprint to romp around so he may end up not being the best fit for your tank. I would also not recommend Clown Loaches -- you should always stock for the tank you have and they need a much bigger tank than that and also a school. A group of Yoyo loaches might work though?

I would not recommend the Rainbows or Butterfly fish... they won't last 5 minutes with the barbs. I would recommend a school of different coloured barbs (5 regular, 5 gold and 5 green maybe?). The different colours look great together.

0 Not allowed!
    Clown loach is a shoaling species. 10-12 inch, life expectancy of 20-30 years easily. Together with the HOng-Kong plec and the "common pleco" one of the most mistreated species you'll see.

With tiger barbs you're pretty much leaving only room for top and bottom dwellers. Theoretically you could combine them with a fast mover like a zebra danio or any of the bigger and more agressive tetras but this is pretty much hit or miss.

79-80F that's about 26.5C. Rather warm for these species, 76-77 would work just as well.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Those nitrite readings are way, way over the top! Fish should not be in a tank with readings that high! Do a 80 - 90% water change asap and do as large as needed every single day until they stay below 0.25 ppm (a better level is 0.1 ppm.) Add salt (1 tsp/10 gal) to help these fish to exchange waste since their gills may be damaged, now. They are 'breathing' a high level and dealy waste product (the gills of fish are both their 'lungs' and kidney's and you are allowing deadly nitrite levels to remain in their blood stream. Add an airstone/bubble wand asap.)
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-16-2013 at 01:11 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    *facepalm*

Should have noticed that. Do as Cermet says, Nitrite is highly toxic.