· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Think I Figured It Out

0 Not allowed!
    Well just finished my weekly water changes on my tanks and once again the fish in both tanks are lying at the bottom of the tank barely moving. I monitored the temperature this time and the new water entering the tank was the exact same temperature as the old water. So I've ruled that possibility out. I believe its due to the 0.25 ppm ammonia content thats in my tap water. The only difference between the water entering the tank and the old water is the new has ammonia.. So i've come to a dilemma. I don't have money to buy bottled water to neutralize the problem of ammonia so does anyone know any faucet filters that I can attach to my kitchen faucet to remove the ammonia?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if you are dosing with prime before you add the water to the tank it should neutralise the ammonia. And if your tank is cycled properly the ammonia should be processed by the time the prime runs out. I'm pretty sure that's right just wait for someone with more knowledge to correct me if I'm wrong.
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard that but I don't use prime.. I use a simple brand of water dechlorinator.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    maybe you should switch to prime possibly cheaper then an ammonia removing filter for your faucet
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

0 Not allowed!
    Many people here have up to 0.5ppm to 1ppm of ammonia in their tap water. What has worked for them was using prime and adding additional biological filter media to there set-up. You could also consider small but more fequent water changes

When I had ammonia in my tap water to deal with, I added extra biological filter media which seamed to do the trick for me
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well I can't do much for filtration.. Both tanks have 20 gallons worth of Tetra whisper filters.. Currently all 3 filters from both tanks just have those like fabric cartridges in them.. Should I remove the cartridges and just fill it up with biological filter stones?? I have a bunch of them.. Would they work in an open HOB filter? And I could up my water changes. Currently I do a 50% water change every saturday. Maybe a 20% on monday, a 20% on thursday, then a 50% on saturday? Do you think that would work???

0 Not allowed!
    biological filter stones are a must in every filter, so replace your cartridges one by one every 2 weeks or so. keep some cartridges and put some biological media in the ones you throw out.
    i highly recommend you buy prime ,
    it saves you money because you use so little, and it detoxifies ammonia temporarily.

0 Not allowed!
    Damien is absolutely correct & Cliffs last sentence nails the solution.

Upping your WC will do no good if you do not have a large enough BB colony to handle the ammonia you would be adding on a more regular schedule.

Yes the biomedia works in an HOB, I have several crap filters that are designed for the cartridges that I instead run matrix and filter floss in.

Your bigger issue is cycling the new media without removing the bb that lives on the cartridge. IMO you should add as much as you can without causing any bypass and let it ride for a few weeks.

Dechlors mostly work effectively the same but Prime is undoubtedly more economical than whatever you are using, I'd consider switching if I were you.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    New Jersey... how's the rain water over there?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Horrible, I think? I don't exactly live in the cleanest area.. I'd never trust using rain water for my tanks.. If that's what you're implying.. So I take it I should add a biomedia stones, the small little ones, slowly to my filters. Eventually removing the cartridge altogether? Is there anything else I should add, biomedia wise?? http://aquaterras.com/images/Whisper...%20Filters.jpg
    In the link it shows how my filter sorta looks. So I also remove the black strainer sort of thing that goes in front of the cartridges?? I'm just worried I might destroy my BB.