· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking into 2nd Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I caught the bug....

But ok, thinking of doing a red cherry shrimp tank. I would do a 10 gallon, but have a few questions

-What would be adequate filtration (just a sponge be ok)?
    -I was thinking that when I got too many shrimp, if I can't sell them, that I would just toss a few in my 55 as everyone seems to treat them as snacks. Is this ok? Or could it have negative effects on the fish?
    -I want the tank to be planted, was thinking of doing java moss on a small piece of driftwood, maybe 1 or 2 other bushy plants, any recommendations for a stock light?
    -What would be a good addition for the upper levels of the water, was thinking raspboras or cardinals, if so how many do you think would work?

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a good plan to me. For the light, if the 10g cones with the stock hood with the screw in incandescent light, you can just replace the bulb with a screw in compact fluorescent. They sell the ones with the proper light spectrum in the aquarium supply section at Walmart. It's bright enough to grow medium light plants well.

If you can find microrasboras in your area, you can stock quite a few of those.(and please let me know if you find them) CPDs would also work, though they hide a lot.

Sponge filters work great for small tanks like that as long as you keep the stocking on the lighter side. If you really want to fill out the stocking I would go with a HOM with a sponge over the intake. I used to use an AC30 on my 10g tanks.

edit: Lotsoffish on Aquabid sells a lot of smaller fish and shrimp and lives close enough to you that he may let you go pick them up instead of shipping them. Kenmore I think, or close to there.
    Last edited by KingFisher; 02-06-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    -I was thinking that when I got too many shrimp, if I can't sell them, that I would just toss a few in my 55 as everyone seems to treat them as snacks. Is this ok? Or could it have negative effects on the fish?
    -I want the tank to be planted, was thinking of doing java moss on a small piece of driftwood, maybe 1 or 2 other bushy plants, any recommendations for a stock light?
    -What would be a good addition for the upper levels of the water, was thinking raspboras or cardinals, if so how many do you think would work?
    I agree with the above advice - putting shrimp into your larger tank if you want to won't harm anything. The smaller the fish you add, the more you can put in but as Kingfisher mentioned, you would need more than a sponge filter for that.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I caught the bug....

But ok, thinking of doing a red cherry shrimp tank. I would do a 10 gallon, but have a few questions

Fine. Their bioload is small and a matured sponge will be an interesting feeding ground for small shrimp.

That's more of a moral issue than a health issue. I'd be very surprised if you can't sell excess. And a 10 gallon can easily support 100 shrimp.

IMO that tank will be way too small for cardinals. Rasboras could work but they like blackwater so introduce some leaf litter and alder cones. The shrimp will also enjoy leaf litter.

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, gotta start looking it into where I should get tank set up. Some one on craiglist has the following and asking $30

Double Stand
    Two 5-15 HOB filters
    1 Heater
    2 Lids (trying to find out what type of bulbs they take)

Would the shrimp alone produce enough nitrates to feed the plants, or would ferts be needed?

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, gotta start looking it into where I should get tank set up. Some one on craiglist has the following and asking $30

Double Stand
    Two 5-15 HOB filters
    1 Heater
    2 Lids (trying to find out what type of bulbs they take)

Would the shrimp alone produce enough nitrates to feed the plants, or would ferts be needed?
    Shrimp have a very low bioload so you would need ferts
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, if I end up with the craigslist deal I'd prob use the HOB filter with a prefilter sponge. And probably just use root tabs and the occasional fert dose

0 Not allowed!
    My 2 cents....these suggestions are only if you want a large colony of shrimp that reproduce quick....

AC 30 is good... I use an eheim 2211 for my blue pearl and crystal red shrimp, 8 gallon tank. Some might say this over kill, I on the other hand see it as protecting my investment.

I dont think you will have a problem selling RCS. Putting em in your other tank is fine as long as it is heavily planted.

If you need to use ferts just do root tabs. Shrimp are sensitive to med and other chemicals used in the aquaria hobby.

Dont keep them with fish. If you must have fish keep them with oto cats only. They are shrimp safe IME. I keep mine with 5 oto cats and a bunch of malayasian trumpet snails. All other fish regardless of size will eat shrimp. Small fish will eat baby shrimp.

The safer the shrimp feel the more they will reproduce. Good luck.
    Last edited by Gogi; 02-06-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    This is the deal I'm looking at

need a few more details about it, and I can get a new tank for $10-12

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pet/3584172792.html

I would use filter floss from my 55 to seed the filter. And either Turface (which works well in my 55) or Eco Complete

Not sure what plants I like yet. I liked the grass in your tank, so I may try to find something like it

0 Not allowed!
    That looks like a good deal. The HOBs look good. I like double stand gives you a reason to get two tanks lol.
    Roll the Dice!