· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    My bristle nose loves it in there, but if that's the case, I could just stick with one small and get a little more shrimp instead, maybe 5 more red-nosed shrimp.

I don't know how 5 ember tetras is a lot for even a 8 gallon, they aren't the type of fish that move 24/7 like crazy, so ill have to skip out on your advice@cliff
    But I have noticed tha bristle nose can cause some ammonia, so I will probably get him a better home.
    You'd be amazed at how active fish can become when they have adequate space to swim around. That's a lotta fish in that size tank.

I don't think it's only the BN pleco that's causing the ammonia - it's the combo of the waste of ALL the fish in there - we also don't know how long your tank has been running - ammonia usually signals an uncycled tank, too small of a tank and not enough large water changes.

Do you own a test kit? Plecos don't belong in small tanks like that no matter how small they start off (all fish start small - that's how pet stores are able to house so many of them in their tiny tanks until they are sold).
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think that you are going to have to shift your ideas about what you want, sorry to say it. These are animals we are speaking about here, and while personal experience is important, it's also really important to research what each type of animal you have needs. Yes, a cat may seem happy in a big cage, but it is nothing like its natural environment and we can't really read animal emotions. Yes, the cat would lay around all day, but that doesn't mean it is happy. While you are striving for a certain look in your tanks, you have to consider what your fish need, and that, really, should be most important. You can have happy fish (I mean happy for thier whole lives) and a beautiful tank.

If you purposefully overstock or incorrectly stock a tank, you are also solely responsible when the tank crashes and the fish die. That's a whole lot of "blood on your hands," so to speak. These are creatures, not ornaments.

So I implore you, please change your thinking a bit, and your life and the life of the animals you care for will improve immensely.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    The BN is small so right now; so yes, it is ok but with time, it will struggle. Waste with BN is a big deal and it is good you will remove him since you are getting ammonia. As for algae, the shrimp will love it but you missed my point. Plants require special food and proper lighting - otherwise, they tend to die and/or create problems. Combined with high nitrates, algae can far exceed the ability of the shrimp to clear it. Don't understand why you think the light in the hood is any good for plants. Mfg never put in proper lights. CFL's are very cheap, and available at most stores and plant ones are at most hardware stores. But your tank, your way.
    I see. I'll just remove the 2 inch one and keep the small 1 inch one, just in case of any algea on the sides.

@ tall: I just realized why they dont move much. My tank is a tall circle, so it really isnt for ember tetras... Good thing is, I'm getting a fluval flora instead which will be perfect for them. The gourami, however, I know will be the same, because all gourami I see, even at fish stores, dont move much. Its just their nature.

But I dont see anything wrong with this setup:

8g Fluval Flora, planted.
    1 Bristlenose (The very small one, big one will be removed)
    5 ember tetra(All of mine are small)
    2 Guppy
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    Some cherry shrimp and some red nosed shrimp

Now, before people get mad at me for the numbers, its the size of them. They are all pretty small, and I'll make changes if they get too big.

Maybe after this, I'll get a small killifish, I dont know. First I gotta install everything, but I'm gonna do all I can to get this tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
    I think that you are going to have to shift your ideas about what you want, sorry to say it. These are animals we are speaking about here, and while personal experience is important, it's also really important to research what each type of animal you have needs. Yes, a cat may seem happy in a big cage, but it is nothing like its natural environment and we can't really read animal emotions. Yes, the cat would lay around all day, but that doesn't mean it is happy. While you are striving for a certain look in your tanks, you have to consider what your fish need, and that, really, should be most important. You can have happy fish (I mean happy for thier whole lives) and a beautiful tank.

If you purposefully overstock or incorrectly stock a tank, you are also solely responsible when the tank crashes and the fish die. That's a whole lot of "blood on your hands," so to speak. These are creatures, not ornaments.

So I implore you, please change your thinking a bit, and your life and the life of the animals you care for will improve immensely.
    All I can really say to this is that I never have had a fish die, only from one time that was a HUGE accident that I dont really want to talk about. (Ill just say that it involved every fish in my pond dieing from poison /; )

Despite that, I have took the advice and I will remove the large Bristle Nose. Its a win-win deal, mainly because both kinds of shrimp I have have eggs, and I want my baby shrimp to live. I'm just kind of seeing a pattern that people just look at the numbers. For example, I could say I have a black knife in my 3 gallon tank and everyone would hate my guts. But then I mention that it is barely an inch.

0 Not allowed!
    You are harming your bristlenose by keeping him in a 6 gallon. I know it might not seem that way, since he is probably eating and swimming around and appearing happy, but trust me, he's not doing as well as he could be. I had one in a 10 gallon some years ago (with 2xfiltration, regular water changes, plants etc), and he was about an inch long when I got him. He was still about an inch long 6 months later, and just like you, I thought BNs must grow really slowly... then I had to move him to a different tank (a 26 gallon custom long and shallow tank), and HOLY COW, he doubled in size within 2 weeks! After two months he was aout 4 inches (so, pretty much full size). He was being stunted in the 10, even though the water parameters appeared perfect (<5 nitrates at all times), and I would never have believed I was doing anything wrong before seeing him grow in the 26...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Dizzy: I just said that I was going to move him. Would he do good in a 200g pond with stong heaters? All my reg algea eaters have survived.

0 Not allowed!
    So long as there is a bit of driftwood in the pond for him, he should do ok.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got alot of rock and hiding places, he should do fine.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, the area I can put a tank on is 16x16 at the most. If there are any 10 gallon+ that are 16x16 or under and not over 200 USD (Tank only), I will most likey get. But for now, I'm focused on fluva flora, because it is one of the most room-convenient, and a solid 8 gallons.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's good that you're rehoming the big bristlenose. I totally get what you're saying: if the fish are small, they're fine in a small tank. But, the caveat to this is that fish grow...not on an even curve or anything, and they just get bigger, and need more space. And then you have to rehome them, which can be a PITA. And sometimes even little fish need room to swim.

I think the mindset around here is that most of us keep our fish for thier whole lives...we do not routinely trade in fish when they get big. It seems like a lot of work IMO (goodness knows a stable tank can be a difficult thing to achieve). Your idea of turning them in is valid, but it seems a bit...well, wasteful...you put a lot of work into the fish, and then you trade them in, and you have to start over. I'd feel a bit lost if I did that, but then again, I get attached to my fish (not like a dog or anything, but I am invested in thier well-being).

I would ask you to think things over thoroughly...really think about your stock, what they need, and what you'll have to do in the future to keep the tank balanced. If you feel like you are really sure about your plans, then go for it. I sincerely wish you luck.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.