· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Going to get an 8 gallon fluval, need help with fish amount.

0 Not allowed!
    To begin, I am going to get fluval flora, so I am looking foreward to some aquascaping. I currently have a 6 gallon marineland, and I have 5 ember tetra, 2 guppy, 1 small honey dwarf gourami(like 1.5 in) and an albino bristle nose algea eater.Along with like 20 cherry shrimp, who take up no room at all. This may seem like much, but it is empty looking, mainly because the ember tetras are all in a group, algea eater hides, and so does gourami. The guppies are the only active guys. I know for sure if I moved this to a planted 8 gallon they would be fine, but I'm kinda interested in killifish, and I may get 2 small. I just want to know if this would work out. If I should get a smaller bristle nose (big one is 2 in), please tell me, because I got a baby one also, and I could just stick with 2 small baby ones (0.8 around in). Please answer, I really need to know from someone experienced. If you do, thank you. Sorry for bad grammar, I put this on my iPod /:

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure what your question is really. Is what ok?

Your current stock is, in my opinion, NOT ok for a 5 gallon. The albino bristlenose has an adult length of 4-5 inches. The embers like a bit more room to swim than the average 5g offers. Together with a dwarf gourami (dwarf and honey are 2 different species) it really is very full.
    The fact that you explicitly mention planting the 8g makes me assume the 5g is not planted which could explain why you don't see much of your fish, they are insecure and try to hide as muich a s they can.

I'd say plant the 8g, keep the guppies and the embers, double check the gourami is indeed a dwarf. Find a new home for the bristlenose and you got a decent tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 6 gallon by the way, but it is fine. Well, about the ember tetras, even at the store which has 20 gallons with like 45 of them, I rarely see them swim around much. Ember tetras are extremely small, maybe the ones you see are full sized, mine are a little more than half an inch.

For the gourami, it is dwarf, I may have got it mixed up with something else I recently got, sorry. I know for a fact that gouramis don't move a lot, because I have a 160 gallon koi pond with some and they move when eating. (All fish are full and healthy)

For the bristle nose, they grow extremely slow from what I've heard, I will move it once it gets around 3 though. I'll just get 2 baby ones instead once that happens. You could say that shrimp do the job, but they don't go up and clean the algea around the tank. It's my fault for not being very descriptive, it's late and I needed to get this off my back.

Please answer these 3 questions for a conclusion on this please.

1. Do killifish get big and take up a lot of room? I may get 1 or 2 small.
    2. Is the bristle nose being 2 inches right now too much, or should I get 2 tiny ones?
    3. If small killifish are good for an 8g planted tank, should I make any changes to maintain them?

Oh and what do you think about driftwood? (Sorry for 4)

I will try to be done with new tank in a week.
    Last edited by Loller; 02-06-2013 at 06:31 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    1. Depends. Many are in the 2-3 inch range. Clown Killifish (epiplatys annulatus) are an interesting one. Small, not an annual species and very colourfull
    2. Wrong person to ask, I believe it making provisions for the whole natural life of a fish. I believe algae is your responsibility, not that of a pair of baby bristleneose
    3. You'd need the water conditions suitable for them. Exactly what depends on the species you chose. The one I mentioned above is a blackwater species so it needs blackwater conditions.
    4. Love it. Gives the water a nice tint and it's a nice feature to shape an aquarium. If you'd look at my tank pics you'd see I've designed my tank around wood.

0 Not allowed!
    While a 10 gallon is OK for a small school of ember tetras, I would think that 8 gallon would be pushing it a little as it would for most schooling fish. I would think the same feedback would apply for keeping a dwarf gourami as well. I certainly would not recommend a pleco for this tank

I lot of people seam to have success with dwarf cories in tanks around this size. That might be a option to look into
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-06-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Since you have the fish and I bet will keep them, you will need to deal with the cold, hard reality of the situation. Your filter may hold up and keep the ammonia under control but the nitrates will climb rapidly. You will need to do very large weekly water changes at the least. Measure your water parameters often for a while and get a feel for the levels; if you have any ammonia or nitrites (non-zero) than your filter is too small. If the nitrates climb over twenty every week, the water changes are too small. If you want to overstock, and have fish, tank up keep is the name of the deal. Never expect schooling fish to swim around in such a small tank. The Gourami is just gonna be miserible in that tiny tank but little can be done unless you return it. Ditto for the bristle nose.

Getting any more fish would be very wrong unless you return the BN, at the least.

Alage is NEVER a problem unless you fail to do enough water changes; plants are a good idea IF you can care for them (feed correctly) and get the proper lighting (a CFL bulb for the hood that is good for plants) - otherwise, algae will be your best growing plant.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My bristle nose loves it in there, but if that's the case, I could just stick with one small and get a little more shrimp instead, maybe 5 more red-nosed shrimp.

I don't know how 5 ember tetras is a lot for even a 8 gallon, they aren't the type of fish that move 24/7 like crazy, so ill have to skip out on your advice@cliff

@cermet: There are also 20 shrimp, who clean the bottom a lot, and I have no algea. With plants, there shouldn't be any problems for me. Fluval is a great aquarium brand and I don't think I will have any problems with that stuff with what I have now. But I have noticed tha bristle nose can cause some ammonia, so I will probably get him a better home.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    I don't know how 5 ember tetras is a lot for even a 8 gallon, they aren't the type of fish that move 24/7 like crazy, so ill have to skip out on your advice@cliff.
    They don't because you have only 5 in a small tank. If you ever see 20 in a 30 gallon you will revise your opinion

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    I don't know how 5 ember tetras is a lot for even a 8 gallon, they aren't the type of fish that move 24/7 like crazy, so ill have to skip out on your advice@cliff.
    Fare enough I guess

But the below is the type of information combined with my own first hand experience that I typically base my recommendations on. Just thought you might find more details helpful.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...rycon-amandae/

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/ember-tetra.html

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-embertetra.htm
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    The BN is small so right now; so yes, it is ok but with time, it will struggle. Waste with BN is a big deal and it is good you will remove him since you are getting ammonia. As for algae, the shrimp will love it but you missed my point. Plants require special food and proper lighting - otherwise, they tend to die and/or create problems. Combined with high nitrates, algae can far exceed the ability of the shrimp to clear it. Don't understand why you think the light in the hood is any good for plants. Mfg never put in proper lights. CFL's are very cheap, and available at most stores and plant ones are at most hardware stores. But your tank, your way.