· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default building my own small tank..well kinda lol

0 Not allowed!
    ok so im turning a gum ball machine into a small aquarium as a gift and im taking the glass into the glass company tomorrow to get a piece for the bottom . any suggestions as to how thick to make the bottom so it wont crack under the weight of the water and sand. also silicone what kind should i use thats good?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh boy do we need pictures!
    Water changes are key to healthy fish!

0 Not allowed!
    Any guess at a suitable thickness would require knowing the volume of water we are talking about. There's no way around that.

Also how do you intend to facilitate gas exchange & filtration in a closed system? Or will this be open top?

Is the giftee an experienced fishkeeper? Aquarium safe silicone is available at any LFS.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 02-06-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    small vivarium could be an option

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest before you get too far along, to research fish that could live in that size of a bowl and what you need to modify to the bowel in order to provide for the fish. If I was you, I would want to make sure all your efforts are going to be worth it before starting to work on this project

DAP makes some silicone that is aquarium safe.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R View Post
    Any guess at a suitable thickness would require knowing the volume of water we are talking about. There's no way around that.

Also how do you intend to facilitate gas exchange & filtration in a closed system? Or will this be open top?

Is the giftee an experienced fishkeeper? Aquarium safe silicone is available at any LFS.

it will be 1-1.5 gallons
    its going to be an open top, im putting a beta in it
    shes had betas before but obviously is not an expert
    thank you

0 Not allowed!
    Hate to say it, and I won't be the only one to say it, but 1.5 Gallons is not enough for a betta (even if a fish shop says so).

It would be considered cruel to keep anything in that size of a bowl, especially without any sort of filter or heater. I would say it may be best to toss the idea, as cool as it would be, this size really wouldn't work.
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Agree. No fish wants to spend it's life in a one gallon tank.

0 Not allowed!
    As cool as an idea that is, i would have to agree with everyone else, that tank is a no go for fish. However, you could make a very interesting closed ecosystem with it, using some plants, dirt, and a bit of water. Would still make a great gift, and has a ton of educational value about how ecosystems work.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well 1 - 1.5 was a rough estimate,,how many do u recommend for a beta because ive never seen one in more then a 2 gallon tank?