· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New Leaky XPL Filter

0 Not allowed!
    So I put together my new filter and found the thing leaking. It is leaking at the joint where the outflow pipe meets the hose. There are no barbs on that pipe, unlike the rest of them.

I have an oldstyle one and it is great. The change of the outflow system kind of stinks. I guess I will call in tomorrow and see what I can do. I seems to be leaking in the seam of that molded plastic piecw. It fwels really thin and cheap.

I suppose I could just order a parts tray for it, but I dont think I should have to spend $25 to have it not leak. They should have stayed with the old design.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    You could try a hose clamp - just tighten enough to prevent a leak but not to crush the tube. My guess is the hose is a tiny bit too big so it is not tight on the inlet tube. If you try this, be sure to have a replacement tube for sale by the mfg in case it does get crushed - otherwise, I'd consider an other/new hose that fits tighter. If all fails, I didn't say any of this ... .
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-06-2013 at 01:03 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did use the cheap plastic clamps that came with. Now that you said that about the size the plastic tube does feel a little smaller than the other hard plastic parts. Their redesign of the outflow may not be the same size it used to be.

I think I am going to call tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. This is just an additional filter for a tank so I dont have to run it till its right......but if they tell me to spend the money on a parts tray I may have to see if the place I ordered it from would send a call tag to pick it up......because between the filter and tray it would be less than $100 more to get an fx5.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You may want to separate the fitting from the line and try to seal it again. I've had similar issues and all I had to do was reset the line on the outflow fitting. Plastic piping can be silly like that.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    You could try a hose clamp - just tighten enough to prevent a leak but not to crush the tube. My guess is the hose is a tiny bit too big so it is not tight on the inlet tube.
    +1
    I would try this .30$ cure first.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i just set a xpL up lastnight and had exact same problem. I just pushed the hose up further, pushed clamp tighter, added zip tie under the plastic clamp and by morning the leak had stopped and has not come back. I hope you've found a solution to your problem. I really like this filter so far but will have to see how it compares month in and month out next to the fluvals I have on the tank with it ( 110 gallon fresh water)...... Good Luck in your leak solving endeavors I hope they end as good for you as they did for me